News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Mercedes 6.9: Where to buy fresh Suspension Accumulator Spheres?

Started by jllgd, 16 July 2019, 10:39 AM

jllgd

Looking to purchase 3 FRESH front accumulators for my 1980 6.9.
I got 3 new ones shipped in the other day but they were manufactured in 2015 so I don't want them. They will be returned to Partscontainer on EBay. (They are calling themselves Newparts elsewhere by the way).

Any suggestions on where to source these accumulators, preferably aftermarket?
Thanks

rumb

A1269974082

You might try autohausAZ

I suppose anywhere you buy them you would have to call and ask them to look at the date codes if you wanted to be sure.

Tip for front right one, remove battery and tray and then undo the sphere bracket from inside the wheel well - 2 nuts.

Have a good set of line wrenches.  Stuck fittings heat with torch a bit, let cool and they should pop free.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

PosedgeClk

I got mine from AutohausAZ. Did you ask Febi how often they manufacture a batch? It could be that all the Febi accumulators are X years old. It is not as though the rubber has been left exposed to hydraulic oil and mechanical stresses for the past four years either.

Get a good set of flare nut wrenches. I soaked everything down in Kroil before removing the fittings. Everything came apart with ease. Use a mirror or inspection camera for the one under the battery tray if you are removing it from the front. I didn't want to mess with the coating in the fender well, so I didn't try to remove it by removing the screws to the bracket that the accumulator is screwed to. I did it by feel and managed to not cut myself enough to bleed.
1979 450SEL 6.9

jllgd

Thanks for the the tips on how to replace the accumulators.

Yes, I have emailed AutohausAZ two weeks ago and also again a few days ago. No reply whatsoever. I tried again today.
They don't look very serious in my book.

I also followed your good advice to contact Febi.
Just dropped them an email. Let's see what they say.
Thanks

PosedgeClk

Call AutohausAZ, and talk to a human. I think that they are in the Pacific time zone. I have done thousands of dollars of business with them over the years, and they have always delivered on time or have let me know when a product was unexpectedly unavailable. This is a plus as I have ordered from some places where the item is claimed to be in stock and they are too lazy to let the customers know that the item was not in stock and was actually backordered. They give me drop ship notifications frequently on big orders because there usually that one item that would delay the order, so they break up the order to keep everything on time. I would also expect AutohausAZ to have fresh stock since they are such a big outlet.
1979 450SEL 6.9

jllgd

Thank you very much for the heads up on AutohausAZ. I've dealt with them before as well.

But I absolutely don't like to do business with any people or companies that score below zero on the communication skill scale.

So, I just ordered 3 genuine Mercedes front accumulators from Tom at the Mercedes Classic Center. Part number 126-320-07-15.
Tom informed me quickly (yes, by email) that they were manufactured in Germany December 14th 2018.

I could most probably have sourced 2018 manufactured Febi Bilstein (less expensive) front accumulators in Europe but finally decided to deal with Tom when he now came up with this recent prod. date.

If the genuine Mercedes accumulators are made by Febi Bilstein or some other manufacturer, is another question!
Perhaps someone educated here, have some "inside" information regarding this?
Thanks