Mercedes 6.9: Hydraulic Hose for 5th Central Accumulator?

Started by jllgd, 16 July 2019, 10:33 AM

jllgd

I am looking to get a new hydraulic hose, specifically the one that is fitted on to the 5th central sphere accumulator.
Located front left on the 6.9.
Anyone here that may help me with the part number?
And maybe where to get it, perhaps aftermarket?
Is there a diagram/drawing showing this accumulator and hose?
Thanks

rumb

Hi,
It would help us if you put your location in your profile.

There are a couple of hoses on ebay. You can for much less rebuild them with the kit from https://mercedessource.com/store/self-leveling-suspension-sls-high-pressure-hose-replacement-kit-w-instructions

or someone here may chime in with the hose spec, and then I can email you the mercedesource instructions if you go that route.

The 5th sphere does not have a hose, just 2 metal lines.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

For the metal hard lines, I just use metric bubble flare brake lines.  You can buy different lengths pre-made with the couplings already on both ends and flares, then just bend them to suit.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

jllgd

Thanks to both of you. Profile updated. I believed the 5th sphere had a hose too. My bad.
We are now planning on replacing all 4 high pressure hoses on all 4 struts.
And the 4 return hoses as well.

Are there any other suspension rubber hoses that it's recommended replacing when we are at it?
Thanks!

daantjie

High pressure feed line from pump to pressure regulator is a must to replace.
Daniel

jllgd

Thanks Daniel, do you perhaps have the Mercedes part number available?
Is this one easy to obtain from the regular vendors?

daantjie

116 997 96 82
Dealer only, and not cheap.  I guess you could take it to a good hydraulic shop and have them fab up a replacement.  It carries pretty high pressure, and the original replacement also has a sleeve.  Usually when you pull the old, crusty sleeve back you will see where the old hose has been weeping fluid.
Daniel

jllgd

Quote from: daantjie on 16 July 2019, 05:11 PM
116 997 96 82
Dealer only, and not cheap.  I guess you could take it to a good hydraulic shop and have them fab up a replacement.  It carries pretty high pressure, and the original replacement also has a sleeve.  Usually when you pull the old, crusty sleeve back you will see where the old hose has been weeping fluid.

I just ordered yesterday the hydraulic hose from the Classic Center. Tom indicated that he was unsure if it comes with the protective sleeve or not. But he will notify me before shipment. Thanks again Daniel for such a great advice.

Are there any other hydraulic hoses or related suspension maintenance items on car that should be replaced when we are at it?

We will also do the following preventive suspension related maintenance repairs:
Replace all 4 high pressure hoses on all struts.
Replace all 4 return hoses on all struts.
Replace all 5 accumulator spheres.
Replace sintered filter in hydraulic pressure regulator.
Replace paper filter in hydraulic reservoir tank.
Flush entire hydraulic suspension system.
Replace the $17.00 O-ring on pressure regulator when replacing paper filter.
Replace rubber boots on both front and rear axle valves.
Replace rubber boot on one rear strut.
Replace lower ball joints on both front struts.
Pressure test/bench test all hydraulic struts for leaks.
Pressure test/bench test both hydraulic axle control valves for leaks.

Comments or suggestions anyone?
Thanks

PosedgeClk

-Check the SLS valves for leaks; replace/rebuild the valves if they are on their way out.
-Replace SLS valve boots if necessary -- in my case, my rear valve was relatively dry, and the boot was beginning to rot away, revealing a fairly clean inside.
-Check the hydraulic rams for leaks by removing the leakage line and measuring the amount of leakage over time as described in the documentation.

I don't know that I would bother replacing the leakage lines. Three of mine are in excellent shape, and the fourth appears to have been damaged in a tire incident. I rebuilt only the fourth as the use of FEP tubing here is experimental. When I wiped the lines down with kerosene, the lines looked brand new, and there was blue lettering with the manufacturer's name easily readable. I was surprised that they had figured out how to mark/dye Nylon at that point and do it durably.

Whatever you do, don't throw away old parts!
1979 450SEL 6.9

raueda1

Quote from: jllgd on 18 July 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 16 July 2019, 05:11 PM
116 997 96 82

I just ordered yesterday the hydraulic hose from the Classic Center. Tom indicated that he was unsure if it comes with the protective sleeve or not. But he will notify me before shipment. Thanks again Daniel for such a great advice.

Are there any other hydraulic hoses or related suspension maintenance items on car that should be replaced when we are at it?

We will also do the following preventive suspension related maintenance repairs:
Replace all 4 high pressure hoses on all struts.
Replace all 4 return hoses on all struts.
Replace all 5 accumulator spheres.
Replace sintered filter in hydraulic pressure regulator.
Replace paper filter in hydraulic reservoir tank.
Flush entire hydraulic suspension system.
Replace the $17.00 O-ring on pressure regulator when replacing paper filter.
Replace rubber boots on both front and rear axle valves.
Replace rubber boot on one rear strut.
Replace lower ball joints on both front struts.
Pressure test/bench test all hydraulic struts for leaks.
Pressure test/bench test both hydraulic axle control valves for leaks.

Comments or suggestions anyone?
Thanks
Good list.  I'm hammering away at the same stuff, though piecemeal cause it all works and so not much urgency.

Anyway, for amusement value only, here's an anecdote:  My local MB dealer has a 6.9 on the lot that needs similar project.  They presented the owner with and estimate of US$15,000.  Unbelievable.  FWIW, these hydraulic hoses are not hard to renew if fittings are in decent shape.  The hose itself isn't really anything special.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

rumb

There is a rubber hose from the bottom of hydro pump that goes the the cooler line under the radiator.  Kind of hard to reach top fitting but still should replace old rubber line.

Flush hydro is not really needed separate, when you remove all the spheres and such pretty much all the fluid drains. Be sure to drain the hydro  tanks also.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

jllgd

Quote from: rumb on 18 July 2019, 12:30 PM
There is a rubber hose from the bottom of hydro pump that goes the the cooler line under the radiator.  Kind of hard to reach top fitting but still should replace old rubber line.

Flush hydro is not really needed separate, when you remove all the spheres and such pretty much all the fluid drains. Be sure to drain the hydro  tanks also.

Thanks indeed for the suggestions and comments. I will look into this hydraulic hose as well. We are having the radiator out as we speak so I believe access is improved by that?
Do you have the hose part number by the way?

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

jllgd

Quote from: rumb on 18 July 2019, 04:59 PM
It's just straight hose with hose clamps.

Great info. Will replace that hose as well.
Believe it's not very high hydraulic pressure going thru this clamped hose?
Thanks.

Jed

jllgd

Yes, the hydraulic hose comes with the protective sheath...or at least it did when I received mine 2 years ago.

jed
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?