News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9?

Started by Coesterg, 06 September 2020, 10:15 AM

rumb

I'd be interested in seeing the VIN on the firewall.

There is an awful lot strange with this car that does not make sense.

To change out an entire interior including door panels and trim is no small feat as well as $$$$
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Coesterg

Agree it seems to be somehow restored/modified during the years for some reasons.
I don't have the VIN on the firewall but it will probably show crazy stuff also:-)

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 07 September 2020, 01:57 PM
Quote from: Coesterg on 07 September 2020, 12:44 PM
Hi Dave,
You're right and the only pictures I don't have at the moment are the ones from the engine.
Didn't go check the car out yet before I learned more, which you now all helped me with.
Many thanx, I think it's not a 6.9 for me so better wait until a more original comes up.
Best regards
Casper

I think this is wise.  These are rare cars but not THAT rare.  So if you are patient you wil find a nice one.  As always it's better to get a nice one from the start and pay up front, rather than getting a rough one which takes a lot  more money to get right.
Yes, this ^^.  Agree 1000% on all counts.  And that whole car sounds very fishy.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

floyd111

I may be a layman, but a 6.9 without hydro never happened from factory. There is no knob, and both the interior and paintjob have been switched out, as well as the dash. -according to the data card. Really? In what world?
Las Vegas odds on that car being a whatever non-6.9 W116, and somebody -at best- put a 6.9 engine in there. The rest is all semantics. Anyone's guess. Stolen, rebuilt, re-licenced-in-error compiled, modified. I don't think it matters much, does it?

Coesterg

Hi, Agree and conclusions are pretty solid from this forum.
Leave it and look for something else:-)

Nabstud

You still have to get the vin and a pic of the motor, you can't leave us hanging like this!!!!!
1975 280S - Australian delivered

floyd111

I found a picture of his engine bay.

raueda1

-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Coesterg

Ha Ha there is also a lot of humour in the forum here:-)
Alright I'll try to get hold of some engine bay pictures and VIN

Coesterg

Hi folks,

I gave up on the 6.9 we talked about in this thread.
But found a new one and more interesting I think.

Can one of you help me and tell after the attachment
how it was equipped, which colour and so one? Many thanx.

Here is the link to the car with pictures etc
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mercedes-w116-450sel-6-9-s-klasse-1979-kein-w126-45tkm-bj-1979/1534527359-216-20397

Picture might be a little unclear.
I read it like 116 036 12 00 40 29

Thanx
Casper

Coesterg

And here is a second picture with other car data.
Seller does not have the datacard so until now this is what I have.
Rgds Casper

BCK1963

Hi Casper,

this car has been advertized for quite a while on mobile.de in Germany and I was wondering why such a low mileage car was so cheap and stayed advertized so long.
The condition of the interior fits with the low mileage but I am suspicious about a 'degree of wear of the engine of 16 %'. First, what does that mean?  Has it got only 84 % of the original compression? I have never seen such a type of rating. Second, 16 % after 45.000 km seems a lot to me. I'd press the seller to clarify on that.
The door panels with the stripes are strange. I have seen those only one a former prototype for MB board members which was portayed several years ago in a german classic car magazine. The car runs on tires which are not allowed for it in Germany, but that may not be important for you. No service documents on such a car would make me suspicious.
But if all fits with what is behind the identification numbers, and the engine story is sound, I think it is a great car for that price.    .... although a bit too much blue on it imho :-).
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

Coesterg

Hi,
I do wonder about that test too and don't know how it works.
Normally I would go for a compression test as the first thing?

Yes a little strange that papers are gone after if everything else is ok!
Difficult for me right now to assess the market, something wrong with the car or market is just standing still right now?

Let's see if other in the fine forum can help me crack the details on the vehicle data,
if they don't match reality like colour etc we'll already have some answer.

Take care
Casper

BCK1963

Hi Casper,
sorry, I didn't sign with my name.
I think that 6.9s in Germany are not as popular as they are e.g. in AU or NZ. That's why I am happy to have found that forum.
The image of the 6.9 in Germany has been beaten to death by classic car journals who wrote horror stories about the costs for engine and hydro repair. They tend to refer to Mercedes factory prices and to the company Kienle which is apparently one of the most famous MB restorers in the world. Its prices are also for the famous.

Take a look at mobile.de and you will find a whole bunch of 6.9 for sale with many cars being overpriced and many with apparent flaws. Good ones are rare and hard to find.

btw:  Your car in eBay Kleinanzeigen has an electric rear bench and a strange elevation behind the head rests. Maybe someone here can tell if this is original with the electric version? The parcel shelf seems to be not original as the knob to lift the cover and the plastic rim around it is missing. Furthermore: The stripes on the upper bench section between the headrests is missing. Or am I missing something?

Regards     Bernd
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

Coesterg

Hi Bernd,

Yes it's a great forum for such discussions also.
You're probably right about Germany and it is of course a special car to look after.

I think Kienle also are into to the Gullwing and stuff like that.
But buttomline is I'm trying to find a low milage 6.9 not imported from US and budget is max 38teur

Looking at these facts I thought the 6.9 we're discussing right now is best option on Mobile.

The important details you mentioned is where I need help, and don't know the model enough to tell.
But the more unoriginal fitted compared with no service record and claimed low milage does make you wonder.

Rgds
Casper