News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Manual Transmission Swap for an Electric Powered 450SEL?

Started by black450SEL, 14 July 2011, 11:17 PM

black450SEL

I recently bought a 1979 450SEL with 265,000 miles.  Black with black interior and black windows, gangster style.  The body and interior are in great shape, but the oil pressure and cylinder compression are both quite low.

One goal is to have an electric car for city traffic. 

Another is to be able to use my Benz more often. 

By doing an electric swap on the Benz, I could turn my antique gas hog into a very efficient daily commuter vehicle.  Cruising in style and saving fuel at the same time.

But I need a manual transmission in order to do it.  Will a W123 manual transmission swap into a W116?

I am also curious if this transmission can be used with the 4.5L V8.

If this is not possible, maybe a Borg Warner transmission from a Camaro?

Mforcer

I can't help you but will be reading this topic with much interest if you go with electric.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

black450SEL

This will not happen soon for economic related reasons, but building an electric car is a very simple thing.  I have already built an electric VW Jetta.

The only custom things required are some welding for motor mounts and a battery rack.  All the rest is just buy it and bolt it on.

Another thing that makes a W116 good for this is a strong chassis and lots of room for lots of batteries.

The only custom thing I have done so far is a Blaupunkt mp3 stereo with Infinity Kappa speakers.

This year, I am taking all the doors and sunroof apart to restore the electric windows and clean all the wiring.

I have looked at recyclers, and the W123 manual transmission is an easy one to find, if it fits.

1980sdga

90077merc

1974 450 SEL