News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Manifolds and blanking plates

Started by Fergus, 24 June 2020, 01:32 PM

Fergus

Hello Colleagues I took the car to have the manifolds changed and to sort out a minor oil leak.

The replacement manifolds appear to have fitted in well (pic 1 and 2 ) but the mechanic told me that the oil leaks appeared to be coming from the blanking plates on the side of the block. Is this a common occurrence and would replacing the plates address the problem? I appreciate there might be issues behind the plates.

Cheers

Fergus

UTn_boy

I'm seriously questioning your mechanics knowledge and abilities at the moment, as well as his ethics.   There is no oil behind these plates.  These plates cover up cooling passages for the engine cooling system of the engine block.  So if they were leaking they'd be leaking antifreeze, not oil.  Where you're leaking oil is likely from the mating surface of the top of the cylinder head and the bottom of the camshaft housing.  If not, then it could also be the head gasket leaking oil via the return or supply ports to the valve train.  It could also be leaking oil from the front of the engine (crankshaft seal) and blowing back along side the engine block as the car is driven....and then dripping down after the car is parked. 

Have the engine steam cleaned and then look for where the oil is coming from. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Randys01

floyd111

Is your mechanic from Taiwan? ;D If not, send him here and the average skills in both our countries will go up immediately.

Lance

Look down to the left of the spark plugs, you will see a drain hole for the oil that collects in there from cam cover leaks. These drain out to the side of the block, near the mating surface with the head under the exhaust manifold. Put a new rocker cover gasket on and clean out your PCV valve, it is likely clogged. Or just don't worry about it and top up the oil every now and then.

Fergus

Many thanks Lance, Floyd, Randy and UTN for your very constructive comments. Most helpful. The engine apparently had been steam cleaned to check for leaks.

Every day a learn a little more

Cheers

Fergus

Fergus

Hello Colleagues
Brief update on coolant and oil / liquid leaks but no oil major oil leaks any more or oil in spark plug wells.

Moved to a new garage

Had the head gasket job done and new blanking plates.

Just got the car back yesterday and I gave it a good run and noticed today that there are minor leaks and weeps from the two plates behind the black hose in the pic the one with with the two hose clips.

Garage said monitor the leaks and take back if problem continues.... I have booked it in for next week. Before I got it back the garage had steam cleaned the engine and cleaned away any residue oil.

Any wise words observations gratefully received as I tend to pass redacted versions to garage. They said they would take the HG  apart again if needs be.

Cheers

Fergus

rumb

The bolts may need snugging up a bit on the covers. If the leak is very small they may stop on their own after some driving.

I had a small leak on my water pump after installation and used some radiator stop leak. Worked fine.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Fergus

Thanks Rumb

I will try that

cheers

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 08 October 2020, 02:16 PM
The bolts may need snugging up a bit on the covers. If the leak is very small they may stop on their own after some driving.

I had a small leak on my water pump after installation and used some radiator stop leak. Worked fine.
Sorry for a slight thread hijack . . . 
If you used stop leak there and it was fine, is there any reason I can't do the same on my heater core?  The leak seems to be very small and it would be nice to have a heater again.  I posted about this once before and the idea was soundly thrashed as I recall.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

rumb

Even though I say it could work on this situation I would still rather not be using it. As you know the water pump on a 6.9 is a monster to remove.  I felt in that case stop leak would be a possibility.  I used about 1/3 of the regular dose and it worked. A small leak like that is a bit different that a heater core leak. 

You could try it, it either will work or not, or just push off a job that should probably be done right anyway.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Fergus

Hello

The car continues to weep and drip coolant fluid from the front plates area after the HG changes. The garage have had the car  in again and have changed a small coolant hose and the oil cap and had a look at the plates again. Fortunately they are happy to take the head apart again free of charge  if the problem cannot be addressed. I plan to take it back to them in January. Any thoughts on the matter would be gratefully received.

thanks in advance

cheers

Fergus