News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

M117 Engine Mod's

Started by SELfor50, 12 September 2007, 07:23 PM

SELfor50

I found this site, has anyone seen this before?

http://blueridgemb.com/?p=88

I've sent them an e-mail asking for more information, my main question being whether these cam's / heads etc would be genuine?
They're for the later M117 engines (500 etc) but there's an item there that says ST ][ Cam's and Mechanical Lifter conversion...

Any advice is appreciated!

WGB

It will be interesting to find out if there are differences.

As far as I know the major differences (Apart from bore and stroke) were the alloy block and some electronic assistance in the idle control but items like timing chains were left the same.

Bill

13B

Some mods which may yield small but handy increases in power:

Free flowing exhaust: weighs less than stock exhaust, flows a but better, may give you a few more HP.  (I didn't dyno my 6.9 before and after getting the exhaust done so can't tell how much HP increase (if any) to expect.  Also, single systems weigh less than than twin systems  so if you're trying to save every last kg, you might want to bear this in mind.  Alternately since the car will be unregistered, run dual side pipes which exit under the rear doors.. just put a small SS muffler in each and a X-over and you're laughing.

Less restrictive air cleaner and element: use a K&N and put snorkels to pick up cold air from the front of the car, not warm air from the engine bay.

Lose the engine fan and put in an electric

Use synthetic oil in the engine, the lightest you can find that will not drop the OEL guage below 1 at idle 10W40 flows better and and takes less engine power to push it around the engine than 20W50 or 40W60.

Run it on avgas so you can advance the ignition past 5-8 degree increase - be mindful if you are racing on a hot 30 degree or more day, to retard the ignition by a couple of degrees.

Put on a more up-to-date EFI system with a much less restrictive intake manifold.  

These are all cheap (mostly) upgrades you can do which will bring out the most in the engine you currently have without opening it up.  If it were my project, I would be cutting my teeth on the 4.5L engine for a year or two while you have a M117 560SEL engine being built up in your garage for when you really want to go seriously racing.

Ian.

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Quote from: 13B on 12 September 2007, 09:01 PM
Some mods which may yield small but handy increases in power:

Free flowing exhaust: weighs less than stock exhaust, flows a but better, may give you a few more HP.  (I didn't dyno my 6.9 before and after getting the exhaust done so can't tell how much HP increase (if any) to expect.  Also, single systems weigh less than than twin systems  so if you're trying to save every last kg, you might want to bear this in mind.  Alternately since the car will be unregistered, run dual side pipes which exit under the rear doors.. just put a small SS muffler in each and a X-over and you're laughing.

Less restrictive air cleaner and element: use a K&N and put snorkels to pick up cold air from the front of the car, not warm air from the engine bay.

Lose the engine fan and put in an electric

Use synthetic oil in the engine, the lightest you can find that will not drop the OEL guage below 1 at idle 10W40 flows better and and takes less engine power to push it around the engine than 20W50 or 40W60.

Run it on avgas so you can advance the ignition past 5-8 degree increase - be mindful if you are racing on a hot 30 degree or more day, to retard the ignition by a couple of degrees.

Put on a more up-to-date EFI system with a much less restrictive intake manifold.  

These are all cheap (mostly) upgrades you can do which will bring out the most in the engine you currently have without opening it up.  If it were my project, I would be cutting my teeth on the 4.5L engine for a year or two while you have a M117 560SEL engine being built up in your garage for when you really want to go seriously racing.

Ian.

1.  The exhaust i have is definately not stock - it came already on the car and has a fukn REALLY mean note to it!  (Yes i've been meaning to record it for awhile and will try do it and upload it tonight!)  So i'd need someone in the know to check it out and see how good it actually is.
My workmate who does the hill-climb already also advised me to stick the pipe/s out the left handside at the drivers door. (so it passes the noise test as well as performance).

2.  Air intake - i've already marked where i'm taking the cold air from (the plates that sit behind the headlight wipers have been removed in preperation for some slice and dice to attach the pipes) and being that i've got the 560SEL twin intake on it will be sucking it up.
Glad you mentioned this actually, cause i was gonna post / ask "What" and "Where" to get pipes / tubing to attach it down to the front...  Is there a special type of tubing to be used and where do i get it?

3.  Oil - I just recently did a change at put in some 20W-50 that was (well it said on the container) for 'older' engines and also some "Stop Smoke" to increase compression etc.  Seems to be running nice, but when cold and revved slightly she struggles a little.  Will have to ask for more advice on specific oil's to use closer to next change.

4.  Ignition timing - something i've never tinkered with, simply cause i dont' know how.  I've read posts here and there on it and read the workshop manual, but still can't conceptualise the exact process so don't wanna go touching it.  If i saw someone do it, i'd have no problems picking it up...unless there's an easy step by step thing.  Also when you guys talk about vacuum etc...is this something i need a certain tool to test??   ???
[yeah i know, sounding stupid here]

5.  EFI - it's a definite goer!!  That alone would be the best thing i think i could do, simply cause it opens the possibility for many other little improvements right?
It's also a thing i can't exactly take into a shop and say can you chuck this on for me cause A) most of them say they don't wanna touch it and B) it would cost me a HEAP!

SELfor50

[RESPONSE FROM BLUERIDGE MERCEDES BENZ] -regarding CAMS etc..

Hello Cameron,

The headers should fit fine on your car, but my worry is your car L or RHD?  If it's right they will not fit.

Actually, I'm not too certain the 500 cams will fit (560 and 500 cams are different) but we may be able to get a set done up for your 4.5.

I still haven't committed to a mechanical grind yet..still experimenting some.

Not many photo's to speak of aside from the ones on my site of the Gray 560SEC w/ it's mechanical lifter conversion.

I'm not releasing my grind specs..it's taken considerable time/effort/$$$ to get where I am with these number thus you can understand my reluctance to just put them out there.

Hopefully we can do business in the future, but regardless thanks for getting in touch!

Kindest Regards
Jonathan

Cameron Milek wrote:
Hi Blueridge,

I'm in Australia and am interested in more information, further details regarding the AMG Spec Cam-Shafts & Headers for the M117 engine.  I have a 1978 450 SEL (The 4.5 Litre engine) and i would assume that these would fit???

I have the K-Jet tronic injection on my engine, so maybe the Stage 2 cams with mechanical conversion would be better???

If you have photos or a profile on the parts for sale, please send through!!

If you want to call to discuss, don't hesitate.

+61 2 6271 5858

Cheers,
Cameron Milek.

Alphawest Disclaimer

If this communication is not intended for you and you are not an authorised recipient of this email you are prohibited by law from dealing with or relying on the email or any file attachments.
This prohibition includes reading, printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, storing or in any other way dealing or acting in reliance on the information.
If you have received this email in error, we request you contact Alphawest immediately by returning the email to postmaster@alphawest.com.au and destroy the original.
This email is confidential and may contain privileged client information.
Alphawest has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of all its communications, including electronic communications, but accepts no liability for materials transmitted.
Alphawest collects, uses and stores information regarding its customers from time to time in accordance with its privacy policy located on www.alphawest.com.au.

--
Blue Ridge Mercedes
Offering Enthusiast Service, Restoration and Modification.
Providing quality parts to discriminating customers in all parts of the world.
Located in the Greater Atlanta area.
http://www.blueridgemb.com
*Updates weekly*

1996 S600 Euro "Scharnhorst"
1991 560 SEC Full Euro ECE (for sale)
1991 560 SEC 226Hp/271ft/lbs (TT conversion IP)
1988 300 TE
1989 560 SEC AMG (Mech.lifter/radical cam conv.)
1986 560 SEL 6.0L 32V AMG
1980 280 SE Euro
2006 Z4 3.0Si M-Spec

SELfor50

Further response from Blue Ridge Mercedes Benz:

Hello Cameron,

That's too bad...  The steering box is situated that I would have to re-engineer the headers to make them work on your car.

Mechanical lifter conversion is taking a set of hydraulic lifters out and replacing them w/ solid bits that require manual adjusting.   Has nothing to do w/ fuel injection :-P

I'll have to see about what we can do for an M100 and the 4.5..the 4.5 should be easier to work with as M100 cams are a bit harder to come by!

I'll check out the site and let anyone know as things come together!

keep an eye on my site, I'll keep it updated as things come together.

Best Regards
Jonathan

Cameron Milek wrote:
Car is Right hand drive.  :(

I'm building the car as a track car and no-one seems to be able to find performance cams for them!!

When you say "Mechanical Lifter" conversion - do you mean it was EFI and you took it back to mechanical injection??  AND are the Hydraulic and Mechanical lifters different?? or the same thing..
(You'll have to excuse my not too extensive knowledge of cars)

Understand bout not releasing the specs - though if you do get a set of stage 2 cams / performance cams for an M117 (4.5) and / or a M100 (6.9) there would definately be a few interested partys in australia!  Check out forum.W116.org - We have members worldwide, but there's quite a concentrated group of enthusiasts in Australia especially, who are definately interested in these sort of things!

Can i also ask why the headers will only specifically fit a LHD Car??

Cheers,
Cameron.

alabbasi

Quote from: SELfor50 on 12 September 2007, 07:23 PM

I know this guy from when I lived in Atlanta. He's a very nice young chap who works as a sole trader MB mechanic. He's very into tweaking M117 engines and has probably the cleanest 560SEC that I've seen. I know that he recently bought a 6.0 32v M117 engined 560SEL that was made by AMG. He's pretty active on the benzworld.org forum.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

SELfor50

Quote from: alabbasi on 15 September 2007, 07:42 AM
Quote from: SELfor50 on 12 September 2007, 07:23 PM

I know this guy from when I lived in Atlanta. He's a very nice young chap who works as a sole trader MB mechanic. He's very into tweaking M117 engines and has probably the cleanest 560SEC that I've seen. I know that he recently bought a 6.0 32v M117 engined 560SEL that was made by AMG. He's pretty active on the benzworld.org forum.

Word..... see if you can gee him up some more to get cracking on some better cams for the 4.5L 117 engines! ;)