Garage > Mechanicals

M116/117 V8 engine - whos changed their valve stem seals?

<< < (3/3)

Berggreen:

--- Quote from: koan on 14 March 2008, 05:16 PM ---
I've done the valve stem seals on my 6.9 but I can't comment on the longevity of only doing seals as I've not dome enough kms, probably only 2 or 3 thousand total.

The seals are a hard, not very flexible material and need to heated in hot water for some minutes to have any hope of getting them  over the valve stems.

--- End quote ---

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I am actually having the valve stem seals changed at the moment in my M116.985 3.5L V8 in my 350SE from 12/1977.

However, my mechanic just reported back to me this morning, that he is worried that the seals in the kit I gave him, do not fit tightly on the valve stems. Actually, they are a lot looser than the old ones, which are however stone-hard and obviously the source of a lot of blue smoke.

He checked the part number on the kits against the EPC and it matches!

Have anyone had the same observation and will the seals expand and fit tightly around the valve stems when they get soaked with oil?

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Christian

Ps.: I bought the valve stem seal kits from SLS in Hamburg Germany: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-280-500sl-c-r-c107-/01-05-18-engine-m116-m117-mechanic/01-c-05-cylinder-heads-3-5-and-4-5/valve-stem-seals-per-head-3-5-4-5-en-p-10092
But my mechanic will now also order a kit from Mercedes to compare. But as he says, Mercedes is probably using the same sub-supplier as the ones, I got from SLS. But we will see.....but curious if someone here has encountered the same issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version