News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

m110 K jetronic no start

Started by abril, 02 March 2023, 06:46 PM

abril

hi guys
I have a 280se w108 with an m110 k jetronic engine and a couple of years ago it was running poorly so I took out the fuel distributor unit and disassembled cleaned it and replaced the o rings inside now it won't even fire up the air metering unit if you press it is not showing any resistance when I push it down I changed the fuel pump and used a jerry can to eliminate the possibility of bad gas but I left the return the tank hooked in to prevent any spillage. I suspect it has to do with the fuel pressure not being enough the pump is a 6.5 bar one but I am not sure if it's getting the proper pressure when I crack the lines open and press down the metering unit fuel barely comes out. I have grown tired cause it's a fair distance from home and I don't have any results.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
'63 W111 220b '72 W108 280SE W126 '85 560SEL
'03 W220 S600  '03 W209 CLK 200

rumb

There are a lot of parts involved in the system and all must work correctly.

*some* have rebuilt the fuel distributors themselves but best bet is to send to cis flowtech along with the wur for rebuild and calibration to you particular engine.

If you have no resistance on the intskd plate that means either the FD is bad or your fuel pressures are off.

Did someone change engines in the car as w108 never existed with CIS. Did you mean w116 chassis?

Plenty of threads here on checking fuel pressure includine a current one one this very issue.

Look at top of page on a computer fron w116.org and find technical section and then the fuel system documents on how to measure fuel pressures.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 02 March 2023, 07:17 PMThere are a lot of parts involved in the system and all must work correctly.

*some* have rebuilt the fuel distributors themselves but best bet is to send to cis flowtech along with the wur for rebuild and calibration to you particular engine.

If you have no resistance on the intskd plate that means either the FD is bad or your fuel pressures are off.

Did someone change engines in the car as w108 never existed with CIS. Did you mean w116 chassis?

Plenty of threads here on checking fuel pressure includine a current one one this very issue.

Look at top of page on a computer fron w116.org and find technical section and then the fuel system documents on how to measure fuel pressures.
Quite so.  Agree with Robert.  For starters, "rebuilding" the FD entails far, far more than just replacing o-rings and cleaning it up.  Moreover, there are several ways of unwittingly reassembling &/or reinstalling it that can result in pouring fuel straight into the manifold and wrecking the engine.  Don't ask how I know this.  ::) Send it to CIS.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

abril

Quote from: rumb on 02 March 2023, 07:17 PMThere are a lot of parts involved in the system and all must work correctly.

It had the engine swapped in 1996 if I remember correctly The fuel distributor has been rebuild with with new seels and the plunger moves freely the fuel pump has been replaced recently because the other froze, I have been told to try to spray same cleaning fluid in the wur to see if that's clogged could that be the case?

abril

Quote from: raueda1 on 02 March 2023, 07:39 PM

Quite so.  Agree with Robert.  For starters, "rebuilding" the FD entails far, far more than just replacing o-rings and cleaning it up.  Moreover, there are several ways of unwittingly reassembling &/or reinstalling it that can result in pouring fuel straight into the manifold and wrecking the engine.  Don't ask how I know this.  ::) Send it to CIS.  Cheers,
It has the metal diafram my mechanic told me it's ok when I showed him what I did but I can't make any more progress afterwards and it's getting frustrating

rumb

This and other threads on this site should be useful:
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/excessive-control-pressure-combines-inside-the-wur-and-fuel-cell-height-cp/

youtube for CIS video to get basic understanding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fJAfXYxWk

Then find the manual on this site and start with testing the fuel pressures as described.

Feel free to ask specific questions as you go.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 04 March 2023, 02:38 PMThis and other threads on this site should be useful:
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/excessive-control-pressure-combines-inside-the-wur-and-fuel-cell-height-cp/

Then find the manual on this site and start with testing the fuel pressures as described.

This can't be over stressed.  You can't just start messing with the wur, FD or whatever without working through the diagnostic sequence in order, as rumb suggests.  "Unless everything works, nothing works."
-Dave

abril

Thanks for the answer I didn't receive any emails and I wanted to check out the website and I just saw a bunch of answers I will try it out

abril

Thanks for the answer I didn't receive any emails and I wanted to check out the website and I just saw a bunch of answers I will try it out
Quote from: rumb on 04 March 2023, 02:38 PMThis and other threads on this site should be useful:

I will check them out and report back

abril

Quote from: raueda1 on 04 March 2023, 11:33 PM

This can't be over stressed.  You can't just start messing with the wur, FD or whatever without working through the diagnostic sequence in order, as rumb suggests.  "Unless everything works, nothing works."
It was gummed up and the plunger was stuck I had to clean it out it had froze in place so I was uncertain about the condition inside of the FD
I have been told that the wur could be clogged and the plunger not getting fuel pressure could that be the case?
I will try to clean it without removing it by spaying some cleaner because on the m110 it has it on a difficult to access spot

raueda1

Quote from: abril on 15 March 2023, 03:38 PM

Quote from: raueda1 on 04 March 2023, 11:33 PM

It was gummed up and the plunger was stuck I had to clean it out it had froze in place so I was uncertain about the condition inside of the FD
I have been told that the wur could be clogged and the plunger not getting fuel pressure could that be the case?
I will try to clean it without removing it by spaying some cleaner because on the m110 it has it on a difficult to access spot
Let's recap here.  If I understand the car ran poorly a few years ago and has basically just sat ever since.  And you're now trying to revive it.  In the process you discovered the stuck FD plunger.  OR, you tried to rebuild the FD a few years ago and it didn't work and the car has sat since?

Regardless, you've obviously got a gumming problem.  And if the FD plunger is gummed up it's a good bet that other things are too - WUR, maybe primary pressure regulator, crap in all the little filters, etc.  If it was me I'd start by sending the FD and WUR to a reputable rebuild shop (if you're in Greece then CIS may not be the best choice). As I commented above, there's much more to rebuilding these things than just replacing the internal parts that come in the rebuild kits found on ebay.  While they're off being rebuilt go back to the manual and work through the diagnostic tests with fuel volume, functioning fuel return, etc etc. It MUST be done in order or you'll drive yourself mad.
-Dave