News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

M110 Headgasket Replacement - need encouragement

Started by 280CEEEEE, 16 October 2010, 06:03 PM

280CEEEEE

Hey guys,

I'm about to attempt the head gassket replacement on my
78 280CE with the M110 engine. Thing is, I don't have many of the tools needed (such as to screw out the pin, compress the springs, etc.) I have done this job on other cars before, but not on a 110. I'm starting to get discouraged but the cheapest place I found would do it for $900, which is more than I am wanting to spend.

The car is gushing out from near the cat and the water would be gone within a few miles of driving. I don't know if it's the headgasket OR a cracked head.

I have about a grand into this car, seriously considering junking it and taking the loss.

Wha do you guys think?

TJ 450

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, I'd just remove the head and take it from there. You won't need special tools to remove it. You might find that the engine is ruined anyway, but it's worth a look.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

i agree,

however, i wouldn't expect it to be a cheap job on a car this old. If cost is a major issue id personally not even bother.

280CEEEEE

Quote from: TJ 450 on 16 October 2010, 10:04 PM
If you are thinking of doing it yourself, I'd just remove the head and take it from there. You won't need special tools to remove it. You might find that the engine is ruined anyway, but it's worth a look.

Tim

The special tools I refer to are the following: pin puller (not a big deal, $50) and valve spring compressor ($200). The latter is only good for the 110, while the former has uses beyond that.

Otherwise, I have no problem taking apart and seeing the condition of the head. Something tells me it is just the headgasket that has given out towards the cylinder, but not mixed with the oil. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.

I think I've decided to take it apart and see what the deal is. If it's bad, part it out, and if it's good, keep it. We'll see.

plmstr92

You'll never know until you try and its the only way youll learn mechanics.Just make notes, even photos when taking apart for reference if it helps you.
You have nothing to fear.

Enjoy.