News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

M110 carby replacement and Holley quiz.

Started by craigb, 06 April 2008, 11:28 PM

craigb

Thanks Ian, I really appreciate that. I reckon I might make a bid on those. Any thoughts on what such items should be worth? Obviously the carby is worth more than $2.75 and not likely to be the winning bid! My car is booked in to the dyno on 1/5 so if I get these in 8days time, get them posted and fit it, it would make the whole exercise more useful.

I guess the theory is that with a 4bbl, around town at the lower revs, the primaries are smaller and more economical and then when you are pulling 6.5k revs all 4 open to feed more air/fuel. With the 2bbl, I guess around town economy wouldn't be as good cos the barrels will be bigger and then at 6.5 it isn't going to have as much flow. So assuming my guessing is correct, how noticeable do you reckon that will be. By the sounds of things the solex is not a reliable carb and the 4360 I have is just wrong, so probably the 350 is better overall anyway.
1980 280s

13B

If those parts go cheaply enough then they'll  we worth hanging on to even if in the future you plan to modify the engine...

From a speed shop you'd pay $40-50 for that adaptor plate.  Any price less than $25 is a bargain.

Ebay prices for a used 350 Holley range from $40 - $80 in a similar condition. 

One of Murphy's laws is if it isn't broke don't fix it, so perhaps get a dyno assessment of the 4360 and compare power and torque and exhaust gas figures with those of a standard solex based 280S.  You can then determine whether its a good thing.  Cameron and I realised a noticeable performance increase by putting octane booster in his petrol and advancing the ignition by 15 degrees.  You might want to suggest to the dyno tuner to try that for one of your dyno runs.

While you are at it you may as well grab this book, its $40+ in the shops and is the Holley bible (sic) that I've learnt all my stuff from:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holley-Carburetor-Super-tuning-and-modification-Manual_W0QQitemZ290220448430QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemLink

You'll then be pretty much ready to set up a 350 Holley on your 280S and get it running "in the ballpark" ready for your dyno tuner to fine tune.

One final thing, any Holley, whether its a small 350, or a large 4 barrel or a 4360, they benefit from a large low restriction air cleaner, which generally means one of those big round chrome things which you see on V8s.  Get the biggest which will fit under the bonnet, not the biggest your budget will accomodate ;-)

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K