News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

lpg

Started by olliparr, 28 January 2006, 03:11 PM

olliparr

Thinking about building in LPG on my 280se due to price of petrol in the Netherlands >:( - any comments? Anybody know if it has side effects on the engine of a positive or negative nature? ???

Bratman47

I had a fleet of trucks that ran on propane. Initial expense of converting was offset by savings from propane cheaper price. When the engine was taken apart for routine repairs -clean,

oscar

There's a TV show in Oz called "the new inventors" and last year one fella was on the show with a new LPG injector.  The idea is that other LPG systems mix the LPG in the plenum chamber.  Also these systems would have a separate ecu installed.  This new system puts the LPG (or petrol) directly into the cylinder by using the car's factory ECU.  Apparently this means no more backfires and better economy.

I haven't been able to find a link to back up my story so whilst I search can anyone else remember that episode or know the product.  Like all good inventions it seemed very simple.

Regarding getting a conversion, I work with two people that as well as converting their cars (not mercs) are converted themselves and would never go back.

There's a lot of misinformation to do with car warranty (well not us I suppose), insurance, engine damage, bent conrods, worse consumption....etc
Talk to people that have already done the conversion then decide...  Oh....  that's why you started this thread. ::)
Good Luck!
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

The biggest factor is the number of km's your car travels to justify the cost of the conversion. When I checked some years ago, it would have taken me far too long (20+ years) to recoup the cost of the conversion as the car doesn't get driven enough.

Other than that, and losing the originality, there should be no reason why you can't convert your car. Just make sure that if you do that the person doing the conversion has plenty of experience (I don't expect them to have much experience working on old MBs).
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Mforcer

Quote from: mb350 on 30 January 2006, 07:17 AM
There's a TV show in Oz called "the new inventors" and last year one fella was on the show with a new LPG injector.  The idea is that other LPG systems mix the LPG in the plenum chamber.  Also these systems would have a separate ecu installed.  This new system puts the LPG (or petrol) directly into the cylinder by using the car's factory ECU.  Apparently this means no more backfires and better economy.

I think what you are after is at http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1345083.htm. Didn't see the episode myself but the ABC and the New Inventors do have a fantastic web site.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200