News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

LPG bonus.

Started by robgee, 14 August 2006, 09:24 AM

robgee

Hi Gents I'm sorry that this topic really only matters to Australian members but I suppose by now we are all aware of the Governments bonus relating to converting to lpg.
I think that with a $2000.00 rebate it seems quite cost effective to convert I'd like to know your experiences with lpg and costs of installing on 450SE any input would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Rob.

oscar

Hi robgee,

Can't comment on price or in AMG69's thread about M100's, but i see a few lpg 450's alone come up for sale on carpoint and carsales.  If you do consider converting, there was an Australian designed injector that was revealed on "The New Inventors" late last year or early this year that I'd be chasing.

I'm no expert but from memory, most if not all LPG systems release LPG into the plenum chamber which under certain conditions can cause less than ideal fuel/air mixtures and sometimes backfire thru the plenum chamber.  Also for fuel injected engines, the ecu and petrol injectors get bypassed.  There's scaremongering about bending conrods, overheating and all sorts of stories but I haven't met someone that was unhappy with their system.  The only problem I know of was i1997 Ford Falcon wagon where a trailer was being towed over a few hundred km which caused a major increase in fuel consumption, a quick drop in volume from the LPG tank and subsequent freezing of supply line which stopped the delivery of LPG to the engine.

This newer injector is different whereby it replaces the factory petrol injector and via signals from the factory ecu, delivers the right amount of gas straight above the cylinders, not the plenum chamber.  It also delivers petrol at the same amount as the petrol only injector if petrol is selected.  There's great advantages here as far as the factory ecu still maintains control of fuel delivery and the prospect of backfiring or preignition is  eliminated.  A freind of mine has a new Toyota Prado and had these new  injectors put in and replaced one of the 90L tanks with an LPG one.  He loves it and can't tell the difference in powerloss.  I'll find out where and how much it cost and what the injectors are called.

One more important note is that I don't know whether this system would work on k-jet engines. It sounds more suited to d-jet.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

robgee

Hi Oscar thanks for that well informed reply it would be greatly appreciated if you could find the info on this new injector because I am really considering this option as I would love to spend more time behind the wheel of my 450 but at $1.40 plus a litre its just not viable.
Regards,
Rob

oscar

Hi Robgee,

I've been madly searching whereabouts I posted this on a ford forum ages ago and was positive that someone gave me links.  Stupid me, it was this forum and Mforcer gave me the link.

Here's the injector link for the TV show http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1345083.htm website details are in there.

Here's a the thread with the original link. http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,273.0.html

Here's another thread with ollipar's coversion on a 280se though I don't know whether it's k-jet or d-jet or what system is used. http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,409.0.html

robgee

Hi Oscar many thanks I'll check it out, again thanks for your input.
Regards,
Rob.

robgee

Hi Oscar I went to the website of the manufacturer and it seems exactly what we should all have the only problem at the moment is its not available to the general public until July 2007.
But here's the link to the site http://www.gas-injection.com/index.html
Regards,
Rob.

oscar

Well that's interesting ie 2007.

I asked this friend with the Prado today what system he had because I could've sworn he told me he had it converted a few months ago.  Apparently not!  He was going to have it done over at Wollongong but the local guy was similar price.  But that was for the standard conventional setup.

As far as the GTi system is concerned, he said the local installer was not going to bother with buying the extra equipment to install GTi.  ??? ???  What, a laptop? Spanners?  Considering this fella can't get hold of more LPG tanks for two months and he's flatout with the current interest in LPG, you'd think he could set aside some dough for GTi's imminent release.  I agree with you robgee that this is a far better system.