News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

lowering springs

Started by crook, 30 June 2012, 12:10 AM

crook

I have being having trouble trying to find lowering springs for my 280SE. A Guy in Darwin can get me 30mm ones but I'm curious will they be noticeably lower? given the cars age would the existing spring have already sagged by that much over time?? Places I have tried are eibach, gaz, and H&R. the latter having the 30mm springs.

TJ 450

30mm is quite reasonable, an inch makes a noticeable difference.

As far as sagging is concerned, the rear may have, but the fronts are unlikely to have.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

philpot

For Springs, if you want to buy new check out KMAC Suspension. Its the first site that comes up when you do a google search. There are a few people on here using them.

The economy version I have read about, but will not vouch for is
QuoteYou can lower your W116 by fitting W123 front springs from a 280E with aircon and sunroof and W123 Station wagon rear springs or if you have Self leveling,remove the struts and replace them with standard shocks. You get a good ride and most merc wreckers have the springs cheap.

crook

Cheer Philpot,

Just got off the phone there with kmac, they recommended koni shocks, I was under the impression that blistiens were the job, Hes quoting me on both, Id prefer to keep the comfortable bouncy ride......shes no sports car  :P