2 hrs work and 2 oil changes and I've got the oel pressure not reading pretty much correctly - as good as I reckon its going to be given that its a rattly old engine.... must adjust the tappets when I have a moment...
First oil change was to get out the black crap excuse for oil which stank of petrol dilution. It was replaced with 5 litres of K-Mart's finest $9.99 crapola 25W-50 oil and a bottle of Nulon oil flushing agent. As per instructions run for 20 min no load and drain and change filter. The oil that came out, even though only in for 20 min, was black and full of crap. I guess the nulon worked.
2nd oil change I've decided for the 1st time in my life to use a so called "high milage" oil which is supposed to be helpful with worn rings, worn valve guides and worn valve stem seals. Pennzoil "High Milage Vehicle" 25W-60 was used and on the 30 min drive which included a bit of low speed traffic and higher speed freeway driving I can report that:
Idle oel pressure when fully warm is not less than 1.0bar
Oel pressure at 3000rpm is indeed 3.0bar or more
Normal driving at 60km/r shows an indicated Oel pressure of 2.5bar
Smoke on overun and prolonged idle due to valve stem seals has diminished
Oel pressure still doesn't fly up to 3.0bar the instant you hit the accelerator, but it is a linear increase at least...
The oil pan wasn't removed yet but it will have to be soon so I can install the sensor for my autometer oil temp gauge, at that point I'll just bash it flat and check the pickup on the oil pump, replace the gauze, etc.
This thing is looking better all the time!