News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

low idle hard start

Started by arcijack, 07 April 2012, 03:35 PM

arcijack

tried that getting plenty fuel on return, cleaned all injectors, the accumulator would not have anything to do with no start would it?

koan

Quote from: arcijack on 28 April 2012, 06:20 PM
also would like to add after 3 or 4 minutes of car sitting when i turn the key on it starts for a second and then dies, it does this evertime i let it sit briefly

OK, leave the plug off and try to start it, see if it runs.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

arcijack

it starts for a second and shuts off

koan

Quote from: arcijack on 28 April 2012, 07:52 PM
it starts for a second and shuts off

Do you give it any throttle after it starts?

arcijack

when i give it throttle i get a loud whoosh sound and it dies

arcijack

its getting late here, i will try again tomorrow, i really appreciate you guys trying t help me, i'm sure we are on the right track, i'm sure its something simple, if all else fails , i will replace fuel distributor, wur and other fuel related items, which i had plans to do anyway but not so soon, again thanks. a special thanks to Koan

koan

Quote from: arcijack on 28 April 2012, 07:59 PM
when i give it throttle i get a loud whoosh sound and it dies

Accompanied with a crack or a bang as in a backfire in the intake manifold?

arcijack

arcijack

koan today i pulled fuel injection line from fuel distributor and cranked over and no fuel coming from injectors or the top of fuel distributor, this is a dumb question but fuel does suppose to come from injectors as i crank car over????

koan

Quote from: arcijack on 29 April 2012, 02:32 PM
koan today i pulled fuel injection line from fuel distributor and cranked over and no fuel coming from injectors or the top of fuel distributor, this is a dumb question but fuel does suppose to come from injectors as i crank car over????

Yes provided the airflow sensor has moved down a little.

What I don't understand is why the engine starts but doesn't run?

I'd normally put my money on a blocked filter screen in the warmup regulator but I'd expect it to run but backfire till it warmed up.

It's not just idling too slow is it?

Have you tried opening up the idle speed bypass, the white nylon screw on front RHS of inlet manifold looking at the engine? I'd open it significantly, two turns anticlockwise noting where its was so it can be returned to original position.

arcijack

not idling at all, once gas burns out of carb, it shuts off, i will try turning white knob

TJ 450

I have always used this test for a no start/lean cold start...

Push down on the airflow meter flap a bit while an assistant cranks the engine. You should be able to get it running this way, but watch out for backfires!

I have found that the engines usually run off the cold start valve injection for a few seconds.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

arcijack

thanks tj, i will try that tomorrow, this car is giving me fits, but i will not give up, i love the car and i'm determined to drive the 1st 6.9 in mississippi that i've ever seen, got to stack some money, and start throwing all new fuel parts, by the way this is a USA  model and i plan toelininate all the smog junk, any suggestions, there is no strict laws here in mississippi

John Hubertz

arcijack, the 6.9 is so unique vs other 116 models that you might find the guys at the m-100 club website will have specific information that will help.  The site is at http://www.m-100.cc .   You'll find a forum dedicated exclusively to the 6.9 (as well as the 6.3 and 600 models). 

Basically it is a technical club focused only on the big-engine Mercedes.  They are very passionate and incredibly well informed about different issues re the 6.9.  Best of luck resolving your troubles - even if you don't think you've made a lot of progress yet I guarantee the steps you've taken so far will have great benefit in the long run.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

arcijack

thank you so much for the encouragement, i i'm determined