News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Lighting problem

Started by Denis, 04 December 2005, 03:06 PM

Denis

Hello gentlemen ... whatever else lurks here

I just upgraded my 350SE with a set of new H4 high intensity bulbs. They really do a good job except that I just realized that I have an electrical problem.

Maybe you fellows can pinpoint it for me, at least the most likely problem areas :
Turn on switch : very low intensity lights in both headlights OK
Turn switch an extra notch to the right : full regular beams OK
Switch to high beam (stalk) : right headlamp goes to high beam, left headlamp GOES OUT ! hmmm, not OK : makes big Benz look like motorcycle at night ;-)

What do you say ?

Merci W116 lovers

Denis

OzBenzHead

Denis:

I had exactly the same experience with my 108. The extra load from the new lamps (previously the old low-wattage original type candles) burned out a relay. Replaced relay, all okay.

Incidentally, my 116 has a habit of burning out main-beam and low-beam filaments on driver's side (right-hand) at about three-monthly intervals. Have replaced relay, to no benefit - still blowing globes. At $18 each, that's not cheap lighting.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Denis

OK guys...

I can read schematics for radios and power amps but car schematics have always been a mystery to me.

Just WHERE is the high beam "relay" ??? I see the wiring from the headlamp unit to the fusebox and the combination switch and to the main light switch but ???

I wish somebody in the auto industry would "discover" what aviation people have used for many decades : a 3D coordinate system to precisely LOCATE a device in a car...I guess wasting time at the "stealership" is a GOOD thing while idle aircraft (not making money) is a BAD thing.

But at least we dont have nightmares like the multiplexed data shit on low quality wiring that is fashionable these days (with attendant high service costs at the stealerships). I just cant believe anyone will ever "restore" such garbage-mobiles when they become 35 years old.

Thanks for telling me where the "!**X&##?!%%? part is located.

Denis

Paris France

As an aside, I filled up my tank the other day before taking a long trip : that was 103,47 Euros please  :o

john skene

Denis, there was a lot of discussion on a USA list about bulbs burning out regularly, and 2 brands were listed to stay away from, so it may help to change the brand you are currently using. Unfortunately I cannot check my email system to check or give you the site at present.