News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

lifters

Started by aus280, 04 July 2007, 03:13 AM

s class

Good point nutz, I guess he needs to check all the basics first before we try and fix what isn't broken

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andrew280SEL

Sorry to invade this topic, but I was just wondering, Ryan, if my 280 is quiet (tappet wise) this is a good thing, right? Cos I think you mentioned before if you hear a slight tick it can be a sign of good health for the solid types.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

s class

Andrew, no I wouldn't necessarily worry.  If the engine has never been disassembled - ie all lifters, springs, adjusters in correct place, it should be pretty quiet when in correct adjustment. 

Tappets will be noisy if there are oil flow problems, or wear in the valve train, or if the tappets have been removed and replaced on different cylinders- ie the wear patterns don't match, or if there is excessive clearance. 

When setting tappets its good pracitce to err on the side of too loose rather than too tight, to avoid burning the valves.  When mine is set correctly, it is pretty quiet. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andrew280SEL

Ah, thanks Ryan. You've put my mind at ease  ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

carl888

Hi M110 engine fans!

I can assure you a well set up M110 engine is silent in the valve department.  You may hear a slight chain noise on start up but that's it.  M110 engines are notorious for being noisy in the tappets, that's because no one seems to adjust them, it's a very, very important procedure and if you read your manual, is a 20,000 km service item.  It's also very easy if you have the correct tools, I can do an M110 engine in about 45 minutes including changing the cam cover gasket and giving everything a clean whilst you are in there.  Here is a pic of my engine undressed if you are interested:

Note, the pic shows the rockers with the retaining clips removed.  As mentioned in the previous message, there was a rocker and camshaft change, the details are documented in the tome "M110 engine manual Volume One"  I consier this an essential reference for anyone contemplating engine work.  I paid about US $60 via ebay for it, worth every cent.  Oh, don't forget to check your cam tming too whilst you are in there.

This pic is of the cam cover, the special 14mm Hazet M110 tool and the gaskets that fit in the plug sockets.

Regards,

Carl.

Nutz

That a W126 M110 no?

carl888

Quote from: Nutz on 08 July 2007, 11:05 PM
That a W126 M110 no?

Yes, 1982 280 SE.

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

OOh ahh!! :(  Looks beautiful compared to mine.  How did you clean all the lacquer out?

Good v Bad
And before anyone mentions the milk sitting in the crevices, just in case you hadn't seen it before, this pic is from March approx when I discovered a possible head gasket leak.  I put a bottle of leakstop or whatever in.  The stuff you put in radiators.  "Seal n Go" I think it was, just for an experiment.  I've been starting it every week and will take the cover off again soon to see if it made a difference.

Anyway
What a mess -

1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

My M110 looked about as clean as Carl's right after it was rebuilt.  Now 200 000km later its considerably darker inside.  I'm embarrased to show it now. 

Andrew280SEL

I haven't seen the inside of mine, but the rocker cover and the surrounds certainly need a sprucing up. Mine looked like poo compared to the those pics above.  :-[
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

carl888

Quote from: oscar on 09 July 2007, 07:09 AM
OOh ahh!! :(  Looks beautiful compared to mine.  How did you clean all the lacquer out?

Good v Bad
And before anyone mentions the milk sitting in the crevices, just in case you hadn't seen it before, this pic is from March approx when I discovered a possible head gasket leak.  I put a bottle of leakstop or whatever in.  The stuff you put in radiators.  "Seal n Go" I think it was, just for an experiment.  I've been starting it every week and will take the cover off again soon to see if it made a difference.

Anyway
What a mess -

Hi Oscar.

No cleaning involved, just regular oil changes.  Mind you, the 280 SE has only 81,000 kms on it so it should be that clean.  I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in all the Benzes, the biggest difference it made was in the 300TD that has 588,000 kms on it.  After three oil changes with the full synthetic after using some mineral grade Dielel specific oil for the last 26 years, all the black sooty deposits were gone that were on the inside of the cam cover.  Not to mention the fuel consumption decreasing by 1 mpg.   Synthetics are ACE!

Regards,

Carl.

john skene

If yours is a 1978 engine with hydraulic tappets (not solid) it may be clagged up tappets causing the noise. Put 1 cup of ATF fluid into the engine  and drive around the block, the extremely high detergent properties of ATF should clean them up within 400 metres.

carl888

Hi John,

Just to clarify, no M110 engine had hydraulic tappets.

Regards,

Carl.

aus280

gday boys stil havent had time to go ahead and check the clearances work is a drainer . it is definetly not pinging will ttry give it a go over the weekend hopefully. andyone got the clearences for it?

oscar

Quoting the manual it says -

Valve clearance     cold engine                   
                             (approx 20oC)

Intake                       0.10mm   
Exhaust                     0.25mm
1973 350SE, my first & fave