News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

LH front chassis swaybar mount replacement in a RHD 6.9

Started by WGB, 05 January 2012, 09:49 AM

WGB

I would imagine in most of the 116 range the bush on the opposite side to the driver is a reasonably easy replacement but in a 6.9 a levelling valve and assorted plumbing is in the road.

One of my pet hates has always been my oil misted front levelling valve with disintegrating dust boot that greets me whenever I open the bonnet.

It has always functioned just fine and never really leaked much oil but pride is pride.

So I tried to replace the sway bar chassis bush on that side without removing the levelling valve and while the bush can be removed - replacement was not going to be easy.

The sway bar tends to move backwards towards the firewall and the car needs to be raised and lowered to allow the top and bottom halfs of the bush to be forced into  place and then the holding plate needs to be forced on with a hammer handle to allow the nuts to start.

As I have a pair of new levelling valves courtesy of MTand the Saudi Royal Garage (or so rumour goes) I thought it was time to donate one to the cause so the old valve was judiously removed with flare wrenches

Old valve next to new 126 valve with 126 ball end fitting.

All the pipework and the 116 specific linkage was carefully transferred over to the new valve

and while it was out the bush was replaced in a more leasurely and less crowded manner.

A comparison betwen new and old bushes

And the end result is a much nicer underbonnet view in that area.

To enable me to raise and lower the car as well as manouevre it backwards on and off the hoist I put the central valve in the "locked" position after completing this job after pressurizing it and checking for leaks.

After I had completed the other side I was left with the car locked in a raised position and refusing to lower itself to the normal ride height when the valve was returned to it's normal position.

One option was to open a line and release the pressure but I raised the car on the hoist, started the motor and pressurised the system and then when lowered with the central valve in the normal position it settled to it's correct height (after some adjustment of the arm).

Bill

Big_Richard

KenM

Mine looks similar to your old one WGB, rebuilding is the way to go for me, although it seems to operate ok. I see your connecting rod is longer than mine, to judge from the amount of thread showing on

the two halves, this would mean your car sits lower than normal? I recall reading somewhere but can't find it now about adjusting the length of the rod for this purpose. As a side note, the little orange

bearings in the swivels on my connecting rod have failed, crumbled and broken and the Aotohausaz site says you must now order this rod from MB themselves, it's still listed in the Importec catalogue at the

moment though. Another part shortage looming? 

TJ 450

KenM,

I'm sure the Classic Center could help you out with the connecting rod ends.

Tim

PS; I didn't know you had a 6.9, I must have been living under a rock. 8)
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Hi Ken,

Yes it functioned fine and I have never added any oil to the system other than when I changed the oil and filter a couple of years ago.

The description of setting the correct ride height I find somewhat mystifying as it refers to angles of front and rear arms and apparently needs a special gauge to set it up correctly.

My ride height is probably lower than average but it is supposed to have some AMG in it somewhere. ;D

I worked on restoring the ride height to what it was before the change using a metre rule and measuring the height of the wheel arch from the floor of my shed.

I am using 66.5mm for the front wheelarches and 63 for the rear with the motor idling.

Bill

KenM

Quote from: TJ 450 on 06 January 2012, 10:30 PM
PS; I didn't know you had a 6.9, I must have been living under a rock. 8)

Hey TJ, yes I have a 6.9, it's a work in progress that's not progressing at all. I purchased the vehicle and paid the local expert to cut out the necessary rust, then found that plenty of rust remained so I 'm

working my way through it. I'm lacking any workspace to dismantle the car at the moment so I'm using the time until I get a garage to conduct the research I should have done before the purchase. Marry in

haste, repent at leisure etc. I'll be well prepared to rip into it when I'm set up.

Sorry to hijack the post Bill, having seen your brave efforts with the strut rebuild I'd be interested to see if you have any luck looking into the levelling valve if you decide to give it a go.

Cheers,