News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Leaking Suspension Pump

Started by Rolo, 04 January 2021, 06:52 PM

Rolo

I replaced the line into the pump.  It wasn't the hose itself that was leaking, it was the metal on metal junction.  Weird that it would fail.  Classic Center got a new one from Germany and the design is different so maybe it will do better.

By coincidence, the pump also started leaking.  Looks like it might be coming from the lower line, but that is the scavenge line and it's under suction not pressure.  Really hard to trace this leak.  I see Performance Analysis has seal kits, but I hate the idea of pulling that pump apart.  Thoughts?

Rolo

Sorry to reply to my post,  George sent me the seal kit - thank you George - but on very careful inspection, I can find no fluid on the pump body but I do find fluid on the bottom of the banjo fitting where the new hose was installed, fluid all over the top of the steering pump, and no fluid on the new hose.  Looks like the banjo fitting got loosened when the new hose was installed.  But that's weird. 

Rolo

Yet another response to my own post.  The pump was indeed leaking.  Right behind the banjo fitting.  Seal kit and 2 hours and we're tight again.  I guessing torqueing the new hose loosened a seal that was about to fail.