News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Leaking Cabin Around B Pillar

Started by SuitGuy, 19 June 2021, 04:58 PM

SuitGuy

I noticed water saturating the carpet under my B pillars after heavy rain. It will also pool in the trunk wells, but I am in the process of replacing the decklid seal. Any thoughts on where the water could be coming from?
Beige 1980 300SD

daantjie

Just because you see it in the B pillar area of course does not mean this is where the leak is starting.
Take a hard look at the sunroof drains and seals, they are notorious for leaks.
Another spot is under the fuse box which in bad cases will rust out the firewall around the grommet for the hood release cable resulting in leaks into driver footwell which can pool in the B pillar area if you are parked on an incline.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

SuitGuy

Thank you. I took a look around the firewall and noticed a grommet was loose. I'll have to wait for another rain before I can be certain.
Beige 1980 300SD

rumb

Check the tail light seals also. The hood hinge pockets are a typical entry point for water.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

SuitGuy

I finished replacing the trunk seal and it appears most of the leaking issue has been resolved. I have yet to attempt the Kent Bergsma approved hose method for pinpointing my leak; it has yet to dry out. Gotta love the monsoon season.
Beige 1980 300SD