News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

knocking sound on turn

Started by alabbasi, 21 December 2005, 11:19 AM

alabbasi

All

This is really starting to get on my nerves. This is on my 79 6.9.

I am gettin this noise from my 6.9. The noise appears to be coming from the front wheels. The best way I can describe this noise is that it sounds like someone is banging a wrench against a hollow barrel.

I seem to be getting this noise only when I turn and accelerate at the same time (example, left turn at the light). The noise does not happen all the time, and appears to only happen after lots of driving. I had this noise before I took it to my mechanic and for him to rebuild the steering box. When I got the car back the noise went away. I have since been driving the car daily since Friday (30 miles each way to work) and the noise has re-appeared. This is what would happen before. If I stop driving the car for a week, the noise will go away for a couple of days and then come back.

I have no idea what the noise is and my Mechanic does not know either. He does not see anything out of place. Has anyone experienced this in the past.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

Thanks for the response, I think I have a clue as to what it may be. I was driving with a couple of colleagues to lunch today, one in the passenger and the other one behind him. Both swore that it was on their side.

I am beginning to think that maybe the struts are the problem and the wheels are rubbing against the arches. I will look underneath with a torch to determine if this is the case this evening.

The noise on the left turn makes sense now as the car would lean to the right.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

john skene

Alabbasi, the sound can also be typical of slightly worn wheel bearings, when the load changes in a turn you get a clunk type of noise, but I am sure your mechanic would have checked the basic details of loose nuts, wheel bearings etc before looking further. (Although I had a mechanic tell me it wasn't a wheel bearing noise on my car a week before it collapsed!!)