News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

knocking from steering wheel column internally

Started by jjb-w116-hu, 17 January 2011, 10:02 PM

ulysees

And how old are your shocks up there??  I've had broken shocks that make surprising sounds...

keep us posted...  i'll probably come across this at some point myself...  this IS the last Car.

What a way to go...  (-:

ulysees

jjb-w116-hu

Thanks guys, funnily enough I spoke to the shock guys today as they're needing to be done no matter what I get some good brake dive as well as acceleration slump so we'll see if this fixes the noise too .
It's a long road but a beautiful one .

koan

Not heard a noise like that before, all I've heard are best described as metallic clunks, your noise is more of a dull thud.

Don't know what a loose steering box sounds like but I'd look at that.

Another possibility is the rubber bushes that mount the cross yoke to the body, the cross yoke is the large diameter bar that runs across the car under the engine.

Must stress I'm only guessing from the type of noise I hear.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

Play in the lower control arms sounds like a dull thud... I'm going throught this with the 6.9. It sounds like it is coming from behind the instrument cluster/steering column area, but I have proven it to be the lower control arm bushes on the RHS.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jjb-w116-hu

great, thanks all for your suggestions - this ones going to the shop i think :)

simon

I, I, captain  thats the one, just had my steering coupling replaced, part costs oz dollars $250.00 and hour or two labour .

vlv8vic

Quote from: simon on 25 January 2011, 02:09 AM
I, I, captain  thats the one, just had my steering coupling replaced, part costs oz dollars $250.00 and hour or two labour .

Sheesh!  I ordered mine from Autohauz for about $80 (USD parity), probably with $50 worth of postage and spent less than an hour putting it in.
SOmeone might correct me but i think MB spares does the coupling for about $120AUD plus a little postage.

They do make an interesting sound though, mine had absolutely zero rubber left in it!

jjb-w116-hu

Hi all thanks for all the insights - would any body know the coupling part number so I can check the pricing in the pacific peso' - Aka the NZ$ ;) thanks !

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

vlv8vic

Not a bad mod... I'm just sure MB would have put the rubber there for a reason - possibly not.... but I just don't know!  In any case new bolts and a hit with the right weld might do the same job too.