News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Kick-down is working now - a forehead slapping moment

Started by flutes, 17 February 2010, 04:01 AM

TJ 450

The seats should be OK to leave in, but you will need to try and remove the footrest, the plastic strip covering the cables and the air ducting. You may be able to get away with just raising the air ducting slightly.

The accelerator pedal also needs to come off, and you can just move the hand brake cable as needed.

Those mats are glued on to the floor and seldom come out in one piece, but it can be done.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

flutes

I'm tempted to light a small fire under the car and dry it from underneath.  What could possibly go wrong??
Matt
1977 450SEL

koan

Quote from: flutes on 20 February 2010, 02:25 AM
I'm tempted to light a small fire under the car and dry it from underneath.  What could possibly go wrong??

Can't stop laughing....

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

KenM

Matt,
        Take it gently and you can get the mats up in one piece, I found mine had never been up in the life of the car and I had to break the original glue, fortunately it's pretty brittle by now and doesn't stick too well. Start at the edges and work your hand underneath, a thin scraping sort of probe like a blunted hacksaw blade also helps a lot. I just made a nick around the accelerator pedal. You can lift the ducting and the cable to pull the mat from under them. Your mats look in good nic so its worth giving it a go.
Cheers,
Ken

TJ 450

Quote from: flutes on 20 February 2010, 02:25 AM

Haha, the car will likely go up in flames. The only way to dry those mats if to remove them and put them out in the sun for a few weeks.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

flutes

Mat removal will be a Wednesday project this week.

Any recommendations for a product or strategy to deal with the inevitable mould?
Matt
1977 450SEL

KenM

How bad does it smell Matt? If your carpets weren't too bad I don't think you'll have much trouble with mould, once you get the mats up and dry the pans out the smell should go away, I guess you could hit it with a commercial grade mould killer spray but shouldn't be necessary. Otherwise, working on your purification by fire theory, get out your oxy and party party man... ;D
Cheers,

Ken