News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

K-Jet vs D-Jet

Started by revilla, 04 April 2019, 02:04 PM

revilla

Hello everybody,

A question for the experts...

I came across this beautiful 280SE in wonderful shape.  She's for sale but not yet advertised.  It's a 1975 so it comes with the D-Jet fuel injection system.

After all these years, I finally managed to understand and play with the K-Jet comfortably.  It was tough at first but mostly thanks to a LOT of the help from some of you and reading the manuals available the tuning of my injections was accomplished.

So, I don't feel like going back to the learning curve on the D-Jet if I buy this car.  Some of you know I'm not great with Ohms, Amps, multimeters and cables with flowing electrons.  But I get around not too bad (I'd like to think) with mechanics.

How challenging/involved/stupid/crazy/impossible would it be to swap the K-Jet and D-jet between one of my current cars and the new acquisition?  The one getting the D-jet needs to be fully functional as the car will need to be sold to finance the new one.  So at the end both cars have to run.

Both of the cars involved in the "surgery" are 280SE's. 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Randys01

Don't even think about it.....just get the D jet working as was intended and all will be well with the world.

s class

Retrofitting k jet on a djet car is doable, but the reverse is next to impossible.  Djet has masses of irng harnesses.  Bear in mind that the compression ratios and valve timing and overlap differs between djet and kjet engines, so even if you do succeed in transplanting the injection systems, you will have other running and setup issues.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

revilla

Hi Ryan and Randy.  That's enough to give up that crazy idea.
Cheers

revilla

I loved the car, but the DJet got me thinking twice.  There must be a reason why they changed from D to K (?)

goldacre

Hi Robert, google to the rescue! Search this topic 'why did Mercedes replace d jet with k jet?' And sit back and enjoy  8) heaps of info on both systems including a document from MB Spares number 028 which should be a good read. Of interest is the top listing by Google with links to 'W116.org'  :-*

G

12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)