News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Just secured a 450 SEL 6.9 after bit of a chase (years)

Started by andrewk, 18 October 2022, 07:38 AM

andrewk

Quote from: Jan S on 14 December 2022, 08:38 AMI somehow believed back then the purpose of the foam was to protect the high pressure fuel hose (filter to accumulator) from physical wear and tear. As you can see from the pic taken before disassembly, the hose is in physical contact with the right rear axle (lays on top). Minor relative movements between axle and hose could lead to wear and eventually a leakage.

This was my assumption back then. I didn't spend to much thinking on this.

I liked your idea/assumption that the foam shall prevent fuel spraying. But why not on the hose from pump to filter?

Maybe someone on the forum knows ....

Mine definitely was not so crammed, nor touching the axle or CV joint - but I notice you have a SE - was the 6.9 fuel system transplanted? I thought the SE models, particularly the V8s had a different fuel accumulator (single hole) system when compared with the SEL. It changed mid way through production, but also might be dependent on whether the car was destined for the US, European, Japanese or Australian markets.

I'd keep that a regular inspection item as it's on the high pressure side of the pump.

I am still waiting for my bracket to come back from the electroplating shop; I think it is stuck in the post.
1979 450 SEL 6.9 (#5532) - silbergrün metallic

Jan S

Yes, it's a SE with a 6.9 and the fuel system that belongs to the 6.9

I have seen the single hole accumulators. My engine requires a two hole accumulator, according to spec. But I believe a single hole accumulator fulfills the same function.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

andrewk

The air cleaner has been sand blasted and prepared for painting. If anyone has the RAL or other black paint code for the air cleaner, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some surface pitting from rust is evident, but this will be easily sorted out by a good paint shop. Will post a full picture and before/after images once it's done.

rumb

I think it is just black satin/semi gloss.

Did you know the clamps around the lid are available new for a small price?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

andrewk

Quote from: rumb on 20 December 2022, 10:33 AMI think it is just black satin/semi gloss.

Did you know the clamps around the lid are available new for a small price?

It is black satin, but there must be a paint code - as the balance or bias of red, especially, can be different. In any case, I found a reputable painter who can do the work in a few weeks. He suggests a 2k / solvent base paint with flattening, in straight black tint. I am extremely happy with the sandblasting.

As for the new clamps - are the new ones yellow Zinc (Cr6+) plated? Do you have a PN?
None of the new hardware I purchased from MB recently has Yellow Zinc plating. I'm actually considering doing the plating of some parts myself, will think about that during the next few days. All the chemicals and equipment are here already.

rumb

Should be be 0000941955.

I used the caswell plating kit to do mine.

A little extra "brightener" will give the a good shiny plating.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

andrewk

Parts finally arrived, now all assembled with new rubber buffers and hardware.

I used Gates Barricade hose for the accumulator to damper section as it has sufficient reinforcement and is rated for high pressure, despite not being a high pressure connection. Better safe than sorry.

Still trying to find a good solution for the larger hose clamps. I'll probably change these out for a slightly different type - undecided at the moment.

The W126 damper is also much nicer than the original part - I obtained it from Niemöller. Hoses are from MB and Cohline (OEM) via Pelican Parts. Pump and accumulator are Bosch, Filter from Mahle. Hardware from Würth, Niemöller and MB. I used A4/316 washers and locking nuts which should prevent corrosion and bolt locking. I just need to replace the bolt for the accumulator bracket as I didn't have enough of those on hand. Will probably change it to a M5 hex bolt in A4/316 stainless.

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

andrewk

I received the HPF rear axle valve back from Martin Werminghausen - he machined and re-sealed it in record time, now looking great - ready to be reinstalled in the car once I finish painting the bracket and obtain some new sheet metal screws. The front connecting piece was also changed, as the ball joints had completely disintegrated and were held on by thoughts and prayers.

valve - 1.jpeg

In addition, I also sucked out the hydraulic oil from the tank (5-6 Litres) and it was looking pretty grubby. Replaced it with brand new Febi ZH-M oil, will allow this to circulate once I have got the engine running and then change it again (with a new filter) to get all of the junk out of the system. I cranked the engine with the axle valve disconnected and got fresh oil coming out of the supply line at the rear, displacing some amber to dark brown crud. I am curious to know if there is a better or different option for hydraulic oil - if you have a recommendation please let me know. 
HPF dirty oil.jpeg

Also noticed that the engine oil had a little bit of a fuel smell so I sucked out 3 Litres and replaced it with Liqui Moly 20W-50. Not exactly an oil change but will ensure there is enough fresh oil with the MoS2 moving around the engine during the first start.
fuel hose with gunk.jpeg
The fuel supply line from tank was filled with an interesting crystalline substance which i'm going to have analysed by GC-MS. Waiting on a 46 mm tool to remove the strainer as it is just about the only tool I don't have on hand, and was not available from the local trade tools store. 

For the knowledgeable people here - I have to replace the rubber components on the axle cross member bar which the HPF valve connects to. I don't know what these rubber pieces are called and have looked extensively on the EPC, Niemöeller and elsewhere. It's a rubber bushing with a cut in it to facilitate getting it over the bar, held on by a steel bracket and two bolts. If you know what this is called, or even better, a part number for it - i'll order and replace those too.
unknown rubber piece.jpeg

anyhow, that's my New Year's Eve work done. Back to it on the second of January.

rumb

Sway bar bushing. Listed under suspension.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Is this sway bar bushing not part number 1163261381?  You need 2x
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

andrewk

Quote from: daantjie on 31 December 2022, 11:27 AMIs this sway bar bushing not part number 1163261381?  You need 2x

Yup, that is the correct part - thank you. I couldn't find it on the Niemöller lookup or Pelican Parts car search. Upon using the part number in Nemiga and also Pelican Parts' site, I was able to correctly identify the sway bar mounting bushing - and have now ordered it. Basically all the rubber parts have deteriorated, so it's going to be fairly time consuming identifying and replacing them all - along with the fasteners which have rusted or lost a considerable amount of their sacrificial plating/passivation.

In other news, I found a full set of HPF struts and hoses (used and grubby), three water pumps, a starter motor and replacement Bowden cable for the suspension control valve locally for $1650 AUD plus freight. I figured this was a solid deal and couldn't refuse the chance of having some spares. 

I'll use one of the water pumps as a core to send back to MB Classic Centre and probably make the others available for others to use as cores or rebuild them myself, making a nice video along the way. Four water pumps might be considered hoarding...

andrewk

Well, I decided to do some more checking and making notes of what will be required to get this car running, reliable and safe. MB Classic Center seem to have a sale on, so my parts order just became somewhat less painful.

I started with inspecting the valley and areas surrounding the fuel injectors. I found that quite a lot of the connecting pieces; elbow shape, "Y" shape and "X" shape in the vacuum system have perished and have been glued together over the years to fix vacuum/pressure leaks. I will replace the lines, connecting pieces and the check valves (the cream coloured parts) but use Blu-Tac if there are leaks in the short term (handy vacuum putty trick that we use in the lab to find leaks in our high (10^-3 Torr etc) vacuum systems and instruments.

I'm curious to know what you have used to replace these parts given they seem to be NLA from Mercedes. If there are alternate part numbers from later models (e.g. W126) that work, or there are solutions available as shelf items, please let me know. I have some fittings and so on from a few different pneumatic/engineering companies such as SMC and Festo but i'm not sure those materials will be adequate for the higher temperature application. Will check and post my findings.

Also, I want to make a new wiring harness for the top of the engine but I am struggling to figure out the types of connectors that have been used. The outer jacket has perished and the insulation on the wire itself is in poor shape. Do you happen to know who makes these connectors, and if so, which series and models are the connectors? I'll ask K-jet.biz (ordered a warm-up regulator replacement from him) to see if he knows the type of connector and post accordingly.

Here are some examples: