News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Iron noise crashing in the engine - M117

Started by Rique_sp, 24 January 2017, 12:38 PM

Rique_sp

Congratulations greetings

I own a 450 sel 4.5 years 1978 and after changing the sail cables the engine began to make internal noise of iron with iron.
I checked and saw that nothing fell into the socket of the candles.
I've already been told that the engine was stuck, but it is not.
Talking to a friend that Tb has a 450 sel 4.5 year 1978, he told me that the problem may be in those lubricity flutes on top of the commands.
I already dismounted mine and apparently it's okay.
Or have some more details that I did not pay attention to.
Does any colleague have any idea what that might be?
Thank you.

Henrique E.
Fan_W116

ptashek

Most likely the timing chain is overstretched, or the chain tensioner has failed. Both cases are potentially fatal for the engine.

The noise an overstretched chain makes is unmistakable - strong metal on metal clunking on engine start. Don't risk it, have both checked soon!

If the chain brakes, you're looking at big $$$$ for an engine rebuild. Comparably a new chain, guides, tensioner and all sprockets are reasonably cheap.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

Rique_sp

Are you saying that you changed the timing chain and then the problem noise started?

Are the timing marks on both cams lined up at the same time the crank is also on "0"?

Perhaps you can take pictures of these 3 areas?

Look at the pictures in this post and let us know if yours looks the same.

http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/450-m117-timing-chain-replacement/
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Rique_sp

Hello Ptashek

He had not thought of the current and the tensor. I keep you informed. Thank you very much
Henrique E.
Fan_W116

Rique_sp

Hi Rumb

I just changed the sail cables and when I re-turned the car the noise appeared. I'll check the ignition point and keep you posted.
Henrique E.
Fan_W116

Rique_sp

Greetings
Updating the topic.
There were 2 wires of candles inverted in my 116.
After turning them on correctly, I went to call and Unfortunately the noise persists.
I realize it's in front of the engine
I'll have to open the engine.
Can anyone give me tips of some company that sells engine parts and that it sends to Brazil.
Thank you
Henrique E.
Fan_W116

daantjie

Sounds like you are talking about the spark plug wires?  If so then yes if you have them incorrectly connected you will get misfire, but this is more of a "popping" sound, and less of a "clanging" sound.  When you stand in front and looking at the engine, the left side runs 1-2-3-4 from front to back, and right side runs 5-6-7-8 on the V8 motor.
Also check the connections on your distributor.  Each wire connection is numbered.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber