News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Ignition Control Module faulty.

Started by PASHKINS, 10 August 2011, 08:48 AM

PASHKINS

Hello. Who faced with faulty Ignition Control Module? Who had repair experience? What in it fails?
In what the difference 0227100001B, 0227051024A consists?

KenM

Have you got an MB part number for them? Might make it easier to track, these are Bosch numbers you have got here.

PASHKINS

On mine W116 350SEL block Bosch 0227100001B is established.
Thanks.

koan

Be absolutely sure the problem is the ignition module, they are usually very reliable.

One of my future projects is to look into replacing the discrete electronics inside the ignition module with one of the later Bosch modules, 9 222 067 024 (BIM 024) is a possibility but not sure it's compatible with the coil.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

Hey koan, I saw one of the later ignition controllers in TJS collection of parts from various cars.

theres a module with the same 4 pin socket and coaxial socket as per w116 thats fitted to w126's but about 1/4 of the physical size.

What i did notice though, is that i think these later modules have the rev limiter built into the electronics rather than having to use a rev limiting rotor.

I wanted to actually plug it in and see if it worked on my 6.9 as an experiment but we forgot to bring it to my house. I will be certain to try it out next time.

s class

These modules rely on the casing being bolted to the chassis for grounding.  So if you do a test with it hanging in free air, you must at least clamp on some crocodile clips to it and to chassis ground. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 12 August 2011, 09:12 AM
heh, i didnt even think of that.

MT, Not sure but I think s class is talking about the Bosch modules that have to be screwed down to get an earth.

koan

PASHKINS

I am absolutely assured that the module faulty. With the same module, but from other, obviously serviceable car, my car works. Moreover, on my car the serviceable block works on weight without direct contact to a body. With my native module the engine isn't started absolutely. If to address to the electric scheme the module has the earth on a wire to 31 contact on the module.
Probably at us it is widespread malfunction. At my acquaintance on W116 280SE the motor didn't develop complete revolutions and wasn't dispersed more 60-80км/ч. After replacement of the module the car has revived! Besides it I know some more similar cases at my acquaintances.

koan

OK back to your original question, don't know if the modules you mention are interchangeable.

Try google, it might turn up something.

koan

KenM

From what I can find out 0227 100 001 is a K jet module and 0227 051 024 is a D jet module. Hope this helps,

PASHKINS

Quote from: KenM on 13 August 2011, 01:16 AM
From what I can find out 0227 100 001 is a K jet module and 0227 051 024 is a D jet module. Hope this helps,

I think, it is quite probable, since the module 0227 051 024 has been removed with D-jet, and the module 0227 100 001 with K-jet. On mine of automobile phones there is a system k-jet. The serviceable block has been removed as with K-jet.
A few having understood differences, coming back in the beginning, I will bring up a question. Who does that have experience of repair of these modules?

Pavel.

koan

No experience with repair but regarding what I said before about substituting a later Bosch module have a look at DTec High Energy Ignition Upgrade.

Don't know about compatibility with coil, I was going to do some resistance checks and write it up it if it was going to work.

Wiring needs to be a bit different, our green trigger wire is a shield and a single wire, I'd try shield to pin 3 and wire to pin 7, and follow what the article says about checking with a timing light.

Pin 15 to +12V from top of ballast resistor pair, leave ballast resistors connected and pin 16 to coil terminal that does NOT connect to ballast resistors.

Bosch module ground is on the bolt holes and also needs a heat sink.

Not yet sure what to do about tacho connection.

Can be connected up inside a gutted ignition module with no external wiring changes - if it works

koan

Kris P.

HI guys,

Before< i had the same problm with my DJet Ignition module.  I replaced it and it worked.  But sometime, out of curiosity, I tried putting back the old one to check out what was causing the ignition module to fail.  I noticed that whenever I screw the module to the body of the car, it dies out...  I found out the the body was not that flat and everytime i screw it in, there was a slight flexing of the module that cuts out the electricity and everytime I loosen it, it starts again. Probably something inside is shorting out everytime it flexes or simply the ground is cut out by the flexing...  So what I did was I leveled off the base where I screw in the module and that solved it.  But at the end of my whole day of experimenting, I still got the new module that I bought and installed it just to be safe  :)

PASHKINS

In nothing коротит. The module in itself has failed. I try to establish from for what electronic element in the module. :)