News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Idle Air Connector Hose Removal

Started by nblewi0, 03 February 2023, 01:30 AM

nblewi0

Hi all,
Hope everyone is having a happy new year!  I'm replacing rubber lines around the top part of my engine and I have a question on removal of one of them.  What is the best way to remove the hose in the attached pictures.  This is the hose that connects to the idle air connector to the intake via a split hard pipe on my car.  It looks like the fuel line that runs above it has been leaking on it and the hose is deteriorated.    It looks like I need some crowsfoot wrenches to remove the hard pipe from the intake?  It looks like there is only one bolt that holds the actual connector in place but there are quite a few hoses that connect to it.  Any thoughts?

20230202_210821_1.jpg
20230202_210827_1.jpg

1973 Mercedes 450 SE "Goldie"
1973 Mercedes 450 SE "Blueberry"

daantjie

Yup these old hoses can be a real bastard to get off.  I am assuming you are replacing the hose.  If not you should in my opinion.  All these old rubber hoses are by now rock hard and all leak. 

So assuming you are replacing it, then really there is no need to be too gentle to preserve it.  I have found if you can get a 90 degree pick tool under the lip and slide it around, then you can break the seal and slip it off.  SOmetimes as well if you can just get a little piece lifted up, then you can jam the nozzle of some spray lube like PB Blaster in there.  That stuff works great, it'll run around the lip then on the inside then it should come off.

If you are really stuck, then likely you will have to remove more components to get it off.  Might not be a bad idea to do a total refresh.  Looks like you have a DJET setup.  Check out Mercedessource vids on youtube, Kent had a big recent series on DJET top end.  Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOiKq6J29Zw

He tends to drone and harp on things a bit but he is a wealth of knowledge for sure.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

nblewi0

Daniel,
Thanks for the quick reply!  I did replace the hose.  It was really brittle.  I actually ended up cutting it off with a box cutter and then I was able to slide the new one in without removing any of the other components. 

I have watched that video from MercedesSource.  It helped me immensely with this task.  I'm replacing all of the rubber components and I am testing/cleaning my injectors at the same time.  It has been a fun learning experience for me.

Thanks again,
Nat
1973 Mercedes 450 SE "Goldie"
1973 Mercedes 450 SE "Blueberry"

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber