News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

identifing power steering pump

Started by zeppelinboy, 03 August 2008, 08:31 PM

zeppelinboy

Hi all,

My ps pump is leaking out of the front seal and I need to identify whether it is a vickers or zf model so that I can purchase a seal kit for it. The markings that I can find on the pump are as follows:

a capital HS overlayed on top of each other like a monogram followed by the numeral 3

on the next line the numbers:
27   1078

and on the next line the numbers:

I can find no other marking on the pump. I can provide a picture of the pump if that would be helpful.

This is for a US spec 79 450 sel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Justin

koan

If you intend getting the replacement parts from an authorised dealer the VIN should provide enough info for them to supply the correct items - provided the pump is original.

The 27 could means it's a Vickers VT 27 pump but according to my book late US 450 SEL had a VT49.

There should be a label on the pump stating the type and relief valve pressure.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

The plate from memory can be hidden around the back - might need a mirror.

Bill

pez

I've been down this road before....you want to get in touch with a company in SLC, UT that rebuilds these units. Unless you have some very special tools and a massive press, the re-build kit that AutoHaus AZ offers will be useless to you if you're leaking form the main seal.  Also, all you need to determine if ZF or Vickers....all the Vicker should fit, and they are supercessions.

koan

Quote from: pez on 08 August 2008, 02:16 PM

Unless you have some very special tools and a massive press, the re-build kit that AutoHaus AZ offers will be useless to you if you're leaking form the main seal.

Don't think I'm the only person here who has put new a new seal and rear o-ring in the pump with nothing more than the usual common tools, we had a thread on this not long ago.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I was poking around my parts 450 today and noticed a plate with details on the front of the pump just above pulleyt and buried by crud.

There were a lot of numbers but the letters ZF were definitely on the plate.

Bill