News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

I would like to do a good tune up on my car,

Started by Yesmar, 03 June 2009, 11:26 PM

Yesmar

so i had to drive my 280s to work tonight, needless to say it was pouring rain , and i was late for work and in a rush.
I start my car ,took like 4 times to turn over and i didnt have time to let it warm up "iv said before it takes like 7 min. to let my car warm up befor i go anyplace or it will stall when i slow down/red lights to whole time."  well on my way to work my car stalled 2 and almost stalled 2 other times.  any suggestions on what i should be looking at and or replacing to take care of this?? im guessing spark plugs and the spark plug wires, any other things i should look at???

thank you
- Ramsey

Yesmar

forgot, the mechanic at anspach auto , that i work part time at, suggested coil pack??
- Ramsey

koan

Quote from: Yesmar on 04 June 2009, 12:02 AM
forgot, the mechanic at anspach auto , that i work part time at, suggested coil pack??

No, last thing to change after replacing everything else.

Might it just be idling too slow when cold?

Regarding the hard starting is it K-Jet or D-Jet?

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Yesmar

- Ramsey

oscar

Is it, I thought it was a carburettor model. 
Was just about to say advance the ignition a bit but for carbs they're really poor performers until they fully warm up.  Whilst a bit of advance helps, a little too much advance whilst the car's warming up will cause a backfire thru the carb if you try and accelerate too hard.   If it's k-jet though I got no idea.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

chinny4290

I thought you had a 280S as well.

If you have a 280S make sure you have no vacuum leaks cuz when I pulled my air pump, there was in and out port. I plugged both up and the car stalled when ever I came to a stop.

I unplugged the out port and all is well now.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

Yesmar

yes no im sorry its is 280s , i went and looked it up and it said 70-76 is d-jet and 76 on is k- jet.  its a 1979 280s
- Ramsey

koan

Don't know anything about the finer points of carb models.

If the car is new to you I'd replace all the basic items, plugs, points, fuel filter possibly ignition leads. That way you know the age of everything.

Then do the basics like setting the ignition advance and idle fuel mixture.

If that doesn't get you starting and running better look at the state of vacuum lines and the carb -  this last one is a bit of a black art from what others have said.

koan

another sad 280s

the carb models don't have a filter beside the fuel tank. just a strainer on the pump and inlet to the carb. my advice with the carb would be to have the carb proffesionally done. for $430 i have mine have a new kit put through it $160 replated, not necessary but looks awesome $100, $20 for an idle cutoff that wasn't working and if doing myself i wouldn't have picked up on, and the rest was labor. cheap and good value and solves a lot of issues that this carb can create over the years.
30 minutes work and $5 is well worth it replacing the rubber vacuum lines. there will probably be lots of miniscule cracks that may not be detectable. this would then make it a lot easier to set and maintain timing settings

WGB

Maybe just damp or porous plug leads/distributer cap on a wet day.

Spray the leads and cap with WD40 or such like or run the car in the dark and look for arcing leads before you get too complicated.

Bill