News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

I want to replace my timing chain....

Started by Des, 19 October 2006, 06:04 AM

Des

I would like to look at replacing my timing chain in the next few weeks, I have read the large thread recently on these and would like to ensure that anything else that should be replaced, is replaced, this is the list I have come up with

Timing chain
Timing chain tensioner rails
Timing chain tensioner
Liner?
Timing chain glides

The heads have to come off, correct? So I would also need to replace:
Rocker cover gaskets
Head gaskets
should anything else be replace here?

Should also camshaft sprockets be done?
Also all the plastic oil feed connectors for the Camshafts and obviously the tensioner and it's plastic liner?

Also the water pump and power steer pump have to come off? Are there any seals, gaskets or other bits that should be replaced at the same time this is all being done?

Would anyone be so kind as to give me the necessary part numbers for all this? Thanks.

koan

I'm assuming you are doing the 6.9?

The heads don't need to come off, only the rocker covers.

The water pump needs to be removed to allow access to the pins for the chain guides, and probably the alternator to get get some space where you are working. The water pump doesn't need to separated, take it off as one piece.

I think styria can reline the tensioner rail for a fraction of the new price ($A700+). The rest of the guides are $A20 to $A30 each. When I did mine I didn't replace all the guides, only the curved ones, I left the straight ones as they didn't appear to be worn, in retrospect probably a mistake as the nylon might be brittle from heat. 

As far as replacing the sprockets goes I don't know, I didn't. I suspect they are expensive items.

From memory there aren't any plastic parts to replace, the oil passage has metal fittings on both ends and holes to squirt the cam lobes.

You do need to dissemble the chain tensioner starting with the clip in the pointy end and rebuild it in place on the engine, starting with the flange.

I posted a picture in the gallery of a wooden gadget for holding the chain on the cam sprocket as it's wound through.

http://gallery.w116.org/dl/2628-1/ChainTool.jpg

Sorry can't help you with parts nos.

Rocker cover gaskets.
Water pump gaskets, two small for the Y branches, one large between pump and block.
Chain and split link
Chain tensioner rail or relined
Chain tensioner gasket (make sure the holes match what you have)
Chain guides
Possibly the detent spring and clip for chain tensioner

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Des

Hi Koan

Yes this is for the 6.9, thanks for the help.