News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

I need to find as many horsies as possible

Started by SELfor50, 17 October 2007, 10:55 PM

SELfor50

Understandably, being a 30yr old car there's been a few horsies let out of the paddock.
Can anyone suggest some 'quick' (which excludes total engine re-build)
job's that will increase the performance of my engine prior to the next
race meet.. (Oh no, he's said the "R" word again.)
I'm after advice of anything at all, that you think might help with performance.
Below are a list of things that should help a little bit...but if you think
there is ANYTHING else that might help, please let me know.

1. With the vacuum lines which one's should i replace and what
do they go to and from (eg. what engine parts are the lines between).
I'm mainly talking bout the one's that have to do with the efficient
running of the engine(performance wise)...doesn't matter bout central locking etc.

2. Also with the spark plugs, i had new one's put in bout 15000Km's ago.
Should i change these over as well?

3. Oil change getting done too - what's the best oil i should use for race / hot lap purposes?
Eg. I'm guessing not too thick so it doesn't need the engine to work as hard to pump it.

4. Fuel filter was done 15000km's ago, should i do that again too?

Any advice, greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance. ;)

Andrew280SEL

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Disregarding weight saving measures we're just talking engine right?  I'm thinking cold air intake.  Get a bit of intake hose from supercheap, attach to the air cleaner housing and try and face it forward to the outside.

You got a 560 air cleaner housing too correct?  You should still be able to attach something to both snorkels.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 17 October 2007, 11:00 PM
NOS. ;)

Soon my friend... just not yet.

Quote from: oscar on 17 October 2007, 11:25 PM
Disregarding weight saving measures we're just talking engine right?  I'm thinking cold air intake.  Get a bit of intake hose from supercheap, attach to the air cleaner housing and try and face it forward to the outside.

You got a 560 air cleaner housing too correct?  You should still be able to attach something to both snorkels.

Piping / snorkels were already on for last event...damn knew there were some pics i'd forgot to post.
Will post those tonight.
That and the K&N filter already in place.

Should i tinker with the throttle cable at all???  Maybe try and tighten it up a bit?
I'm thinking over time it's probably not hitting WOT all the way?!

13B

Lower your diff ratio!  For hill climbing go as low as possible.  Going from a 3.07 to a 4.11 will feel like you have an extra 50HP instantly.  The don't make them for MBs, but a 4.6 diff will feel like an additional 100HP has been added.

I've already told you this, but its going to give you the greatest increase in acceleration.  Infact you'll have to learn to modulate your accelerator on take off and coming out of corners as it'll be too easy to light 'em up.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

But the diff ratio isn't something i can just adjust is it?
I need to replace the whole diff yeah?? 
If so, this will be done next month...this month my money is going into the purchase of a W116 relative.. ;)

I'm talking bout little things that i can do myself before next weekend.
Like the vac lines and timing etc - only thing is i don't know which lines and where they go to and from.. :(
Also the timing i've never done and am counting on Rog for some guidance....rog...you out there mate? ;)

13B

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

One of the problems with a 560 aircleaner is relocating the battery as the new pipe passes over this area where there is little clearance.

Avgas (or an octabne booster) with some extra ignition advance would be a simple fix.

Bill

AMG69

I was going to do this Bill - ran out of time - as plenty of room in the boot and my father-in-law had a nice Marine application box that it was going to be suitably sealed in. 
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

500eguy

i will be decatting the car,  getting some intake hose, and maybe installing a new Exhaust Canister.. Magnaflow maybe...

13B

50% avgas is a good starting point on the 1st run, then advnace the ignition by 3-4 degrees for the 2nd run, if it seems happier add more avgas (or drain the petrol in there and add pure avgas and run that for the 3rd run, and if it still seems happy then try another 1-2 degree increase in ignition advance.  if its pinging just back off and throw that run, retard your ignition a bit.

SELfor50

Ok.... sounds good.

Only thing is - where am i gonna get avgas???  Would the airport have any?  ::)
Or will a couple bottles of Octane boost be ok, and then just advance the timing?

And... once and for all - confirm the procedure to advance the timing for me.

1.  Do i need a timing light??

2.  Do i just remove the dizzy cap to adjust it

3.  What do i adjust and how do i do it?  (Oscar, this is where you step in with pics.. ;)  )

Bill.. i sorted out the battery problem by grabbing a hack-saw and snipping bout 5-6cm's off the left side (looking at it from the front of engine bay) pipe.  Then i got 2 x 1M lengths of the silicon piping and it fits perfectly past the battery (though the batt is right at the front now) and down to the front for the cold air intake.
[will have photos up in the morning]

Andrew280SEL

To retard or advance the timing I think you just turn the distributor itself: Clockwise is to Retard, Anti-Clockwise is to advance.

However, you need to undo a screw to loosen the distributor, which I think you need an allen key or something silly to do so. The screw is just under the distributor, if you look straight down you can't miss it.

But yes, Oscar's famous pics wouldn't go astray. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

13B

Ask around at work, someone who has an ultralight plane or a Cessna or a pilots lisence should be able to hook up a brother with some Avgas from the local airport.  Or just call them and ask - not sure if they can sell to the general public  but it might be a matter pf who you talk to there...

20L should be enough for one day's competition.

I.

CraigS

I thought it was available if you were a member of an officially sanctioned club, but don't know who you would ask. I guess the fuel companies are not gong to be too helpful, but I guess it is worth a call to Shell.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]