News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

I need a favor from you 300SD types.

Started by JasonP, 14 January 2012, 06:59 PM

koan

That fluid is far too viscous even at 30F. Surprised the box is working as well as it is.

It needs to be changed.

Best would be a fluid change using something cheap for a few 1000 kms to rid the box of all the old fluid and then another change to better quality fluid.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

JasonP

Sounds like a plan. I would like to do it myself, so I still need to purchase the car jack and stands, and any necessary tools/parts to do it.

I like your idea of the 1000km flush. I always wondered about that - why when we change fluids, we don't do it twice. I rinse twice when I brush my teeth, so why would a car be any different?  :)
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

koan

If I didn't clean my teeth for a year I do it twice and rinse them twice, but I clean them regularly and only rinse them once, same with cars ;)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

JasonP

Well, it's not like I'm British. 

;D

D'oh!
1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E

JasonP

Success!

I finished siphoning out the extra transmission fluid in my car.

A total of US 32 fluid oz., or exactly 1 quart (0.946 L) came out, and now the dipstick measures just about 25% above the low line towards the high line.

The siphoning process did not really work well gravity-wise, so I just took a long length of clear plastic tubing, sucked it up to the end, then capped the end and pulled it out of the dipstick tube, and drained it in the bottle. I did this a total of three times to get the 12 oz. in the second bottle.

Is this the fluid capacity of the torque converter - 1 quart?

1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E