News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

I bit the bullet... HVAC refurb

Started by TJ 450, 21 December 2009, 08:38 AM

WGB

I'm listening to all this but it looks a little scary to me.

Keep up the postings and teh pictures.

Bill

s class

Come now WGB, you know you want to remove your HVAC box - its the latest WA fashion....  bit of a concern that it sounds like a good way to stuff up one's dash. 

And Oscar, its even more concerning that with the glass out you still struggled.

I've got a confession to make - I've bought a surprisingly good dash out of a wreck 170km from where I live.  Part of the deal is that the labour at the scrap dealer have removed it for me.  I get to see what they've made of it in about 2 hours from now.  I'm more than slightly concerned that they will have stuffed it up.....

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

I followed up your lead TJ, joyce dont sell to the public, however, they supply a retail store in myaree called "foam sales"

I have a wide selection of foams here which will no doubt be perfectly suitable for refoaming and rehinging the flaps.

The majority of the foams they manufacture can be custom sliced to the desired thickness too (soft, open cell foam is hard to get very thin though)

Next time your in the area, I'd appreciate your input and opinion of which foam is best to use. For the hinge foam, i have a 3 meter long, 1 meter wide roll of it. I can rehinge for the rest of my life if required  ::)

TJ 450

Sounds good, MT. I'll check it out next time I'm down there.

The latest WA fashion indeed. ;)

It certainly is a good way to stuff up one's dash...

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

thats the same place mine cracked too.

TJ 450

It's not the end of the world for me, because this dash is already cracked, but it would be a real pain if it was a good one. That just happens to be an area where it is very brittle from being exposed to the sun.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

TJ, is that an oh-so-70's brown dash?  Any cracks?

I got my ex scrap metal yard dash this morning.  For the most part I was impressed with how they got the dash out.  It only has some buckling on the one end, possibly not even as much as yours.

What annoyed me more is that they obviously used a screwdriver to lever out the instrument cluster, so there is now a pressure dent on the edge of the binnacle.  The vinyl isn't split, so I'm hoping I can massage it back to shape.  

The dash isn't perfect - it has a crack either side of the binnacle.  But its like 700 percent better than my 280SE's existing one which has several grand canyons in the centre and on the passenger side.  

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

nothing a contoured dash mat wont fix ;)

TJ 450

It has quite a few cracks, but they are small and mainly around the instrument binnacle. It's a brown dash to go with the Bambus interior that I am very fond of. It's totally '70s. 8)

I suppose, if the scrap yard dash was in good condition, it was probably more flexible.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500