News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

I begin tackling the ACC

Started by JasonP, 09 February 2012, 09:27 PM

1980sdga

Here's a diagram of the water routing through the servo valve:

Aux is the auxilliary water pump that comes on when the temp is below 79F. I believe it's mainly to keep water circulating through the heat exchanger at idle. It's the mystery part  in your picture.

Check out this thread:  http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/semi-automatic-climate-control-modification/

it may give you some ideas.

JasonP

TJ 450 - Thanks, I'll look around.

Squiggle Dog - No way! That's hilarious! Perhaps one day I will use it...However, my water is very, very hard. Even flushing the system with it might not be a good idea.

1980sdga - Thanks a bunch. Great thread, I'll take a look.

So, can I disconnect/unplug my servo, bring it in the house, and have the car still be O.K.? Am I gonna mess up any vacuum lines or electrical lines by doing that? Because I really wanna take it apart and clean it/restore it. Sadly, the servo on my parts car is completely missing. That was a big bummer.

And where do you guys get your hoses?

;D

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

1980sdga

You shouldn't have any trouble bringing it indoors  ;D  There is a phillips screw that holds the vacuum "plug" onto the servo and there are 2 electric plugs on it. Then the bracket just unbolts (10mm I think).

Take care disassembling it. Search some of my old posts to get an idea about what's inside. I posted some pics of some of mine "naked".

It's a really good system when it's working so stick with it and you'll be rewarded with everything a sonderklasse should offer  8)

JasonP

"Sonderklasse!"

As I work on my car, and grow weary of the technical and mathematical precision of German engineering, and in my haste to finish begin to search for shortcuts and jimmy-rigs, I shall envision Herr Diesel, Herr Daimler, and Herr Otto standing behind me, with backs straight, hair oiled, mustaches waxed, shouting "Sonderklasse!" And I shall awaken from my lazy stupor, and rise to the excellence these giants of engineering demand.

Sonderklasse!
1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E

1980sdga

You pilot a machine that cost 1/3 more than a Cadillac at the time. And this was a time before easy credit and leases. The worlds first turbo diesel saloon!

A serious machine...

The ACCII system was designed by Chrysler and licensed to MB though. Rumor has it that Chrysler abandoned it as being "unreliable".  We have GM R4 AC compressors as well...

Amazing design similarities between the R4 compressor and the SLS pump too. It's easy to see why Ze Germans chose those parts...

JasonP

Quote from: 1980sdga on 30 April 2012, 11:26 PM
The ACCII system was designed by Chrysler and licensed to MB though. Rumor has it that Chrysler abandoned it as being "unreliable". 

And isn't it ironic that the Chrysler ACC is always used as an example of "German over-engineering?"

I think "over-engineering" is a pejorative used by those who can't figure it out.   ;)
1979 300SD
1979 300SD
1977 280 E