News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Humming 6.9 bird

Started by BCK1963, 15 February 2021, 07:40 AM

BCK1963

Hello 6.9 gents,

I am writing to the group to ask if this is common or unique to mine, maybe hear of other owner's experiences.
My car has a humming frequency between 80 and 90 km/h which I find particularly annoying as I often drive on country roads in the speed range. It is not very loud but clearly noticable even with music on. Sounds like a bunch of bees in the trunk.
It was abundant ever since I bought the car in 2013.In the meanwhile she got a next exhaust system and a new prop shaft bearing, no change.
I'd say that the sound becomes more prominent with warm engine resp. after some time of driving, say 15 - 30 mins.
I wouldn't say that the sound has become notably worse over the years which makes me think that it may be typical for the engine or car.
The car has made ca. 10.000 km since 2013.

Any input is welcome.

thanks ahead.
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

daantjie

I have the same humming sound as well, mine is at lower speed, approx 70 - 80 km/h, then it stops as I go faster.

I think it's from the diff.  I changed the oil a while ago but it made no change.  Maybe clutch pack wear?

I now Robert (rumb) rebuilt his diff,  maybe he has some advice?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

adamb

My 6.9 has no odd noises at any speed. But this model is well known for eating its diff. I rebuilt mine because it was making terrible clicking and occasional grinding noises in slow corners. When taken apart it became clear that the diff had already been rebuilt before. Since then 15 years and many miles have passed - all good.