News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

how to use jack and change oil

Started by MB_Mike, 04 September 2008, 05:55 PM

MB_Mike

Sorry not much time to search for previous posts. My jack seems to go in at an angle and as a result not stand flush on the ground. How do I use the factory jack?

Also, I went to check the oil as it seems like it has been leaking out from somewhere, and it looked a quart low. So I added some, ran the engine a bit and checked again. This time it seemed to ALL be gone! Checked a few more times and now it is between the 2 marks on the stick. As a precaution I want to change the oil and not sure how to do that exactly either. Thanks!
1987 Home market 560 SEL

13B

The standard Bilstein jack sits on a bit of an angle.  I'm not sure why, it just does.

As for oil, it can be a bit misleading checking the oil depending on how much it sitting up in the cam area waiting to be drained back to the sump.

As general practice the car needs to be on level ground and if its been running, has to be switched off for about 10min to allow that oil to all drain back to the sump.  You then check oil level and add it until it reaches the top marker on the dipstick.

If you run the engine, switch it off and immediately check your oil by wiping the dipstick and re-inserting it, you will get a low reading until all the oil has drained back to the sump.

Changing the oil is pretty easy... warm it up , drive the car up some ramps, undo the 14mm hex nut on the sump and let drain.  At the same time change your oil filter.  Let it drain for 10 min.  replace 14mm hex nut with a new copper washer, install oil filter, and fill with the prescribed amount of oil (8L for a V8).  Start engine and observe the Oel Pressure meter moves to normal position.  reverse down the ramps and switch off, wait ten min and top up the oil as above.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

s class

On the 280, use 6.5l as an initial fill.

also realise that the 116 series cars are fitted with a replaceable paper cartridge filter, fitted inside an aluminium (steel on the 6.9) bowl.  You remove the bowl, replace the cartridge, and refit the bowl.  This differs from most modern cars where the entire filter assembly is replaced. 

When you replace the cartridge in the bowl, pay attention to the following :

a) in the bottom of the bowl is a spring, then a shaped washer which press against the bottom of the cartridge.  Make sure they are in the correct place

b) the filter cartridge has a small opening at one end, and a large opening at the other.  Its inserted into the bowl small-hole-first.

c) These end holes in the cartridge have flat rubber o-rings.  Make sure the old ones are still attached to the old cartridge.  I had a situation where the top o ring came off the old cartridge, and remained stuck in the filter mounting hardware on the engine block, so the new filter would not seat. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

MB_Mike

Thanks to the both of you for that info. I was terribly concerned I had driven her dry and had that sick feeling in my gut. I suppose I just han't given it enough of a chance to drain out after start up.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

youcef

hi All ,
could you pls advise what is the normal position of the  Oil Pressure meter ,  after i have changed the Oil  last week i noticed that the pression move from 2(with old oil) to 1.5 , is it Normal .
Sorry i am a new owner of 280S Year 1977  .

Thanks in advance

oscar

Hi youcef, when first starting the car when the engine is cold, at idle the pressure should always be 3.  After the car has been driven around for a while and the engine is hot the pressure can be between 1.5 - 2 at idle.  Anytime you accelerate, cold or hot engine, the oil pressure should be 3.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Youcef W116

i realize that i have posted the below in 2008 and now after almost 12 years i brought a second W116 buit this time it's 280SE :) i hope that i will be able to turn it up  :D :D :D :D :D