News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

How much have you spent on your obsession so far..?

Started by daantjie, 16 December 2016, 06:22 PM

floyd111

I conveniently left out the labour hours that are mine. I don't think I would want to count the hours. It is well beyond belief. 3000 emails alone.. How many hours was that? Studying manuals, checking websites,  comparing prices, clearance issues, warranty claims,.. the list is endless. Thousands of hours, no doubt. Not to be attempted if you lead a busy life or you'd be climbing the walls in no time. ;D

daantjie

I think most of us see the labour as "free" if you do the work yourself even though we know it's not. This is my only hobby so I try in vain to justify all time spent to my significant other  ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 18 December 2016, 08:30 PM
I think I am pushing 45K including the purchase of for 4 cars and most of the NOS parts required to build two 0-mile cars out of those parts.

To be honest, that's a spectacular result all things considered.
You've seen the gory details of my project, and know what I mean :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Well I kept all the invoices but I refuse to add them up that way I can convince myself that the cost has been reasonable. Sure all the labour has been my own, mostly, but I took on the 450 as a project and I have learned a great deal about it. I really started on it knowing nothing about the particular model although having rebuilt other marques over the years the W116 has been a real education and not regretted in any way.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

shaggy

1979 280SE - 350€ to buy the car, spent about another 1000€ on bits and bobs getting it roadworthy and it's run perfectly ever since (3 years). The only expense is an oil change every 5000km and slaking the old thing's considerable thirst. Nothing has even broken, worn or stopped working in over 25000km - even the spark plugs remain perfect. I'm always keen to jump in and fettle my vehicles but this one gives me virtually nothing to do!

On the other hand, I also restore and run old Series XJ6's, so things kind of even out!

floyd111

Shaggy..that is probably the most positive newscast I heard in 2016 ;D

shaggy

...probably the most truthful, too  :)

Now I just have to persuade myself she's a keeper!

TJ 450

My blue 6.9 probably owes me $20,000, or possibly more, now. Like a lot of others, I don't keep track of it any more... If it needs to be done, it needs to be done. Then there's the other projects I've had... It's definitely not a hobby that rewards in terms of profits... It's about learning and having a bit of fun, and also the time out tinkering.

One thing I will say though is that I can count on the cars, even on long trips and have only had a couple of issues over the last 10 years with flat batteries due to loose terminals, that have left me stranded.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Scotty

Hello again after a long intermission

I'll preface my response by saying good riddance to 2016

Anyway, my 1978 280SEL cost a good night out under 4K, and then about 7K  thereafter, including a Sanden upgrade a/c and refurbish, lots of front suspension work, accumulators, new battery, various bulbs etc, lhs sls shock, new exhaust, warm up regulator (2), work to the ignition and injection, and  a couple of thorough services. Also I had to replace the lhs rear door after someone ran into it two days after I got out of hospital in March last year. When I list it - and keeping in mind all I've done is make the phone calls - this sounds like good value.

I'll soon be spending a little more putting some good tyres on the 15x7 Rial wheels I acquired when getting hold of a new door after the bingle. The door and wheels of course came in the form of a whole car, and then immediately after purchase (a 450 SEL import) , a good door emerged . So the on selling of the lovely 450SEL will hopefully somewhat offset the total cost. But I'll miss it.

All small beer considering I've owned a Porsche (increments of 5K), a SAAB 900 turbo (actually very reliable), a Mk 7 Jag, an Audi 200T, WRX, etc

If this is a competition - and I don't suggest it should become one - first prize must go to anyone who has had their W116 professionally restored. I take my hat off to you - especially the 450 from -  I think - Ireland.