News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

How hot does your 116 run?

Started by hawaiiw116, 15 December 2008, 03:32 PM

pez

Zedster, you are in fact running too hot I would say based on your photo.

Get that radiator re-cored. It's cheap and easy to do. Just pull the radiator and take it to a good radiator shop [I'm sure they are a dime a dozen in Vegas.]  Have them put a desert core in ... it can be done, I had mine re-cored with it. Basically, it is just one more core - a 4 core instead of a 3 core, so greater cooling and fluid capacity.

Also, wire in a simple switch to allow you to short to ground [causing the aux fan to come on]. This will be useful when you are stuck in traffic and want your a/c to stay cold.

You may also want to consider swapping all your coolant for a product called Engine Ice, which is pre-mixed. I use it on my motorcycle and it works great.

zedster

I do not doubt your knowledge as I am no mechanic but could it be anything else? The other day it stayed around 200 and below when I ran it. When I had the fluid flushed and changed the gauge was reading close to 250 (maybe air)? Temperatures where taken all over the engine at that time and they were like 180. I know the thermostat that was put in was of a different temp.
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

TJ 450

Is it mainly at idle when the temp gets that high? My 450 got up to the line between 175 and 250 in your pic just sitting in traffic today. I think my clutch fan is showing its age.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

zedster

Yes this was at idle sitting at the end of the driveway for a bit.
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

pez

TJ makes a good point to check the clutch on the fan. Also, you mention that a different temp thermostat was installed - what temp? To my knowledge, they all should be 75C on the M117 motor.

200F is fine occasionally, but not really much higher at all, even in Vegas.