News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

How do I know is suspension is working...

Started by andy77, 28 November 2009, 07:45 PM

andy77

How do I know if suspension is working?  I never see the front or back wheels move up or down.  The ride is comfortable.

Thanks

Big_Richard

Assuming the car is upto the correct level, drive over some speed humps, one side of the car at a time, you should be able to see those wheels traveling over the hump retract and rebound, if they stay static and the car body moves instead, bouncing on the tire, the sphere on that corner is blown.

You dont replace one, you replace 5 as a set. ;)

These are throw away consumables on a 6.9 and will last 5 - 10 years at a time.

andy77

I will try that..I did see the front go down after I got out the car a few days ago when the car was on a slanted driveway...so maybe it works.

I was told those spheres have expiration dates...is this true?

What if the expiration dates comes and goes..do i have to replace the new ones I just put on car because the expired so to speak?

Big_Richard

car will momentarily go up and then go back down to normal once weight is removed from it, this is a normal function of the leveling valves. Having said that, if the spheres were totally blown, there would be no compression of them when weight is applied, so there would therefor be no need for the valves to bleed off the extra oil (height) once wieght is removed.

Expiration dates? No idea, put it this way, mine were new in 2005 and are still perfect like the day i put them in there. I dont think they deteriorate greatly with age on the shelf aslong as they've been stored in a cool, dry enviironment.

I'm pretty sure they arent on the shelf long anyway as they get used up pretty quickly.

s class

With the car parked, engine off, you can push down on each corner of the car like you would test the shocks in a conventional car.  If the car pushes down and then rises up slowly in each corner, with modest pressure, its probably good.  If it is real hard to push down, and it feels rigid, then that sphere is probably blown. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

andy77

Ok...thanks for all the tips and advice..

When I pushed down the front on either side the car goes down some then back up....when I push down the back of the car on either side the car goes down A LOT easier then back up...is the back suppose to push down easier?

My mechanic said the suspension was working...but maybe I hit something since this as I did hear a loud noise when turning the front wheel

TJ 450

With my car, the back is definitely softer. The loud noise could be something else, maybe steering related.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

andy77

Ok...just tested...with car off and engine cold...I pushed down back of one side..it did not rise up to where it was before

Is this due to the system not being charged since car was off all night and cold?
If I start driving will back go back up?

TJ 450

Yep, as soon as the engine starts and the system pressurises, it will go back up.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

andy77

I hear a constant "knocking" in engine...I was told by the previous owner that this thick wire and metal thing on top of that, that is like convulsing back and fourth is the suspension system working...is that true?

What I am referring to is when the hood is open and you are looking at the engine, toward the front right (your right) is where this large wire and metal on top of it is swaying back and fourth...is this normal?

s class

Standing in front of the car, looking at the engine bay, at the front to your right is the hydro fluid reservoir, plus pressure regulator and distribution valve.  nothing there should be visibly moving if the engine is just idling.  Post up a photo to illustrate what you are asking about. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

That sounds very odd. I think you should take photo of the part that is pulsating. It sounds to me like the high pressure hose from the suspension pump. The pump itself can make a light knocking sound if it is worn out or the fluid is too viscous... it should make very little noise normally.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

andy77

I hear the clicking at red lights and I think it is always making this noise...

The picture is upside down by the way...

koan

That hose does vibrate if you hold it and it does twitch a little as the regulator comes in and out but it shouldn't be "convulsing back and fourth". Nor should you be able to hear it in the cabin.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

andy77

I see the hose twitching so to speak when the engine is on and I open the hood.  I sometimes hear it in the cabin..a knocking

So if its not suppose to knock...what is wrong or might need replacing?

Thanks