News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

How do I know is suspension is working...

Started by andy77, 28 November 2009, 07:45 PM

koan

Quote from: andy77 on 29 November 2009, 04:31 PM
So if its not suppose to knock...what is wrong or might need replacing?

As TJ said wrong fluid or faulty pump could make the noise, are you sure the pump/hose is the source?

As for the hose doing anything more than a just visible twitch, it might be the hose has been rebuilt with a lesser spec hose.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

There is one important question. What about the fluid level?

I would check that ASAP. Although I've never experienced it, a pump sucking in air might make "knocking sounds".

It looks nice an clean around there BTW, Andy77.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 30 November 2009, 06:07 AM
I would check that ASAP. Although I've never experienced it, a pump sucking in air might make "knocking sounds".

An air locked dry pump is silent - silently grinding itself to oblivion.

andy77

My mechanic said that the clicking is normal as the hose running out of the hydrolic fluid resoir is presurized

I think he knows his stuff...here is a link to his shop...what do you think...accredited?

http://www.gnnmotors.com/

koan

Quote from: andy77 on 30 November 2009, 12:21 PM
My mechanic said that the clicking is normal as the hose running out of the hydrolic fluid resoir is presurized

A barely audible click every few seconds yes but a knock you can hear in the cabin is definitely not normal.

Sorry, don't think anyone here is able to give you exact info as to what's wrong. If the loud knocking noise is coming from the hydraulic system and not from the engine internals it could be anything, pump, pump drive, regulator problem.

I think he knows his stuff...here is a link to his shop...what do you think...accredited?

No idea, but I bet he knows how to charge.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

13B

Upload a video to youtube showing us this sound and behaviour thanks.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

andy77

Ok brought car to my mechanic....he topped off the fluid as it was really low and we pulled the lever and the car did nothing.

He said there was air in the system, he let it out, then pulled the lever again and the back went up then the front...all is working now..:)

s class

And the previous mechanic wanted to hack the car to springs, when all it needed was fluid?

You need to watch the fluid level over the next days and weeks to make sure it isn't dropping. 

If the fluid level is dropping, there are two basic causes -
a) an external leak at a hose, or strut, or valve.  External leaks are usually easy to find
b) an internal leak through the pump into the engine. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

andy77

Thanks for the advice...I will watch it.

How long should that fluid last meaning how often do you have to top if off if no leak?

Thanks

s class

If everything is working well, it should drop so slowly it almost never needs topping up.  The exception is however if one of the accumulators fails, in which case the level will suddenly drop about 0.5 litre (due to the fluid required to fill up the accumulator).

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

andy77

Ok....

On another note

Do I have to replace ALL 5 accumulators at once?  The previous owner replaced the front two so when i go to replace the center and the two rear, do I have to replace the front even though they do not need replacing now?

Thanks

s class

No not really.  The main thing is to replace the two rears as a pair, or the two fronts as a pair, otherwise you may get uneven handling. 

andy77

Ok thanks...

I think its best for me to leave me suspension lever alone as today I pulled it out, reved the engine to 30k rpm and the back did not go up, however, I saw the front go down...maybe I could not see the back go up it because I was in the car

I have a front strut leak and maybe because of this leak more fluid is coming out of the hydraulic fluid reservoir so when I pull the lever and the reservoir tank is just so low the car is  not going to fully raise....is this possible?

Thoughts?

TJ 450

Does the suspension cable have two, or three positions. If it only has two, you won't get the high position, only service/lock.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

andy77

According to the 6.9 book I have (I have US version) there are only two positions...however, when you pull the lever it seems like there are more, but maybe not

the last time my mechanic pulled the lever, I saw the car go up in back first, then front...this was after the topped off the fluid and let the air out of the system

When I tried to get it to go up tonight, I do not believe the back went up, however, I saw the front go down so it must have gone up

I am not really sure what to do now..

A) leave everything alone and assume... since I saw the front of the car go down.. that all is ok and I just missed seeing the bottom lowering because I was in the car

B) or make sure the diameter of the line from hydraulic reservoir is correct as it makes a clicking loud enough to be heard inside the car and or make sure the line is the indeed correct one that is to be used there

C) or bring back to mechanic to have system checked for leaks and have hydraulic fluid toped off again

What do you think...