News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

How do I get rid of the SLS system? - 450SE

Started by 13B, 06 January 2008, 08:23 PM

13B

Under my car I see the following:

Coil spring, damper (shock absorber I'm assuming), accumulator, and a height control valve.

Has anyone done the SLS-to-nonSLS conversion?  It looks like I just need to unhook the height control valve and remove the pump and tank from the engine...  could it be that simple, or will the tail sit down a mile?

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

As far as I know the following need to be changed.

1) Rear Springs - self levelling ones are too soft and are  really only "helpers".

2) Rear Shocks

3) Remove all the gear and put a blanking plate where the pump goes - the pump has four pistons in it and will not survive without constant oil supply.

Years ago Monroe-Wylie provided a performance lowering and shockie kit for 126's that would have probably also fitted a 116 but I guess Bilsteins and standard springs would be a better start.

Just be careful with spring compressors etc as those springs - particularly the front ones are very dangerous.

Bill

Brian Crump

I think Bill is about spot on. It is common for people to take out the self-levelling on 280CE coupes so that may give you a clue as to what replacement parts are available. It is not a difficult job - but do watch out for the springs.
Regards,
BC

13B

Thanks guys.  I thought as much. 

Say, whats the accumulator for?  does it maybe hold the height control valve at the current height once the engine is switched off?

And as for the blanking plate for the engine pump - one from a 280S would be fine?  The pumps are all the same or so I've been led to believe.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

The system works like part of a 6.9 system with the exception that the rear is supended partly by the springs and partly by the accumulators with the hydraulic pressure fed to the strut causing the height compensation as required via the level valve (that is the leaky one in your photo).

The 6.9 uses the same accumulators (exactly) in the rear to hold up the entire car with no helper springs so they are very powerful when in full working order.

Bill

SELfor50

The Merculian Man known as Mercules has done this conversion on the Fordedes.

If you have a read through the "Engine Conversion" thread... actually i'll dig it out now:
Engine Conversion Thread

It's a little further down the page.

It doesn't have heapsa detail, but i'm sure Cam will be more than happy to advise the best way to do this.

Come to mention it, I wonder how the Fordedes is coming along? ???   ::)
I'm sure it couldn't be too far from cruise status...1-2 months tops I reckon.   ;)

john skene

Why do you want to take out the present self leveling system? They work very well, better that standard springs and shock absorbers, and were the upmarket, more expensive, option at the time.

13B

Hi John, its going to be a track car.  I'd be keen to hear the results of some cornering power tests of the SLS system to see how well it behaves in situations like throttle-off mid corner, full throttle acceleration out of a corner, L-R-L roll transition in chicane type situations.  That sort of thing.

Upmarket doesn't phase me... some of the "downgrades" to be completed in my 450SE include: hand wind windows, remove a/c, remove LHS rear-view mirror... as well as deleting the interior altogether save for the drivers seat, steering wheels, pedals and instruments.

robertd

Hi Ian,
Last year I stripped out a 280SEL, it had SLS rear suspension. well the removal of the rear springs was much easier than the front ones, I didn't need any spring compressors for the rear just unbolt the diff (hold it in place with a trolley jack) remove the shock etc. then lower the diff and sub frame slowly till the springs drop out!
It was a different story for the front ones, be very careful they are very powerful springs.
Regards Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet