News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

hirshmann antenna

Started by sethkestenbaum, 02 August 2018, 04:18 PM

sethkestenbaum

I have two original Hirshmann antennas.  Both have working motors.  One has a bent antenna mast in the middle part so it won't raise/lower completely.  The other has a straight antenna mast (which I was able to polish into extending) with a broken nylon strap so it won't raise/lower. I'd like to frankenstein together a nice "all original" Hirshmann mast and use it with the better antenna body. To do this, I suspect I just need to remove the "h" button on the top of both antennas and then swap out the top part (which has the nylon) from one antenna with the thin part of the unbent antenna. Before I try this and potentially damage things:

1) Does the top "h" button unscrew?  Is it soldered on?
2) Has anyone else attempted this?  If so, what has worked or hasn't?

I've tried to attached photos.

Thanks, Seth
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car

sethkestenbaum

So instead of pursuing the removal of the top piece of the antenna (which I am convinced would result in a damaged mast), I decided to see if I could "splice" the nylon.  I took apart the antenna body and recovered the other part of the broken nylon from inside the storage chamber (you have to take the guts of the antenna body apart to get to it and then remove a "c" clip).  I cleaned both the broken ends of the nylon, dipped them in some boiling water (I thought I would see if this was hot enough to start them melting (it wasn't), then put them adjacent a stovetop flame to try to slowly increase the heat.  One end lit on fire (unintentionally).  Based on how slow it burned and how it was globbing up, I lit the other broken end and then pushed the two flaming parts together.  I probably lost about 5MMs of length on the line but the two ends fused nicely with a BLOB of nylon where it was patched. I then cooled it all off, filed down the glob of excess nylon with a rasp, finished it with some fine grit paper, wiped things down and I now have an awesome and working original mast to install into the better of the two Hirshmanns.  Photos attached.  If you don't wear your glasses, you would never know the nylon was ever broken.  The splice seems nice and strong.

I hope this help others in their efforts to keep their Hirshmann Antenna masts original.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

daantjie

Necessity is the mother of invention, well done 8)!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Americium-241

Good work regarding the repair.

It is maddening that the masts are no longer being manufactured by Hirschmann.

Even for the newer cars they are all drying up too - once they are gone they are gone for good and the only choice is second hand or Chinese copies. They are poor quality, rust and fall to pieces. This is an unacceptable risk on cars with new paint jobs. Perhaps if the market wasn't flooded with these $7 copies there may of still been reason for Hirschmann to continue manufacturing masts but hey, the average joe always want the cheapest.
MMWA

The original master of the universe.

marku

Never would have thought of that - great job really well done.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

Quote from: Americium-241 on 04 August 2018, 03:00 AM
It is maddening that the masts are no longer being manufactured by Hirschmann.

The fact that Hirschmann was sliced and diced into multiple companies and sold off around 2007 might have something to do with that :(
But the masts can still be bought, not cheaply though: https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/en/?ActionCall=WebActionArticleSearch&BranchId=91&Params%5BSearchParam%5D=Hirschmann+Telescope
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

that s what I was about to suggest.. Check Koenings.. Also, aren't MTB selling masts on ebay for these AUTA's?

sethkestenbaum

Thank you to all that have suggested places that might have replacement masts.  As mentioned, my goal was to be able to fix one of the masts.  I was able to do so by melting the two parts of the broken nylon tail together.  The antenna now works well and I have a back up motor (which I may eventually sell).
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible