News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Hirschmann Revisited

Started by floyd111, 06 November 2015, 12:29 AM

floyd111

After reading through a dozen or so past posts regarding the W116 antenna, I did not find answers I was looking for.

1.I see such MB antennas for sale at different prices. part numbers vary enormously, from A001xx, A129xxx, A123xxx, and at least 5 or so more.
Are these all the same antennas?

2. It looks like the original Hirschmanns were aluminium colored in metal. Online I see black ones and they seem to be plastic.
Are these models identical in size?

3.Does anyone know of a place where new, original (metal) Hirschmanns are for sale?

4. is there a comprhensive repair kit that is proven to do the trick for a decade? (besides replacing the masts)

5. Would there be a way to fit the NEW (black version) Hirschmann internals into an older, original metal Hirschmann casing?

6. If I have an original Becker, and an official Hirschmann, will the mast go up and down as it should, or do I need more tech?

7. What's the story on the height-adjustablility? I am pretty sure I have no such extra buttons in my 280's
therefore, do i need to be on the lookout for a specific Hirschmann, if i don't want to drill holes?

8. Would anyone be able to list the right MB numbers, and replacement numbers for such an antenna?

Thanks a lot!
Stan

floyd111

First kind response came in through pvt message

With regards to your aerial questions:
The die cast aluminium box aerials are seen more on our predecessors, types W108/9, W114/5 and W113.  By the time our cars were on the market, the black box type were standard.  I had a non Hirschman black box type, and someone gave me his spare original Hirschman black box type.  All the same really.  You will need a four pole connector (the male) that will need to wired onto the aerial, and this will then plug directly into the 4 pole connector (female) that is there in the boot (on the LHS) from the factory.  These four pole connectors are used throughout our cars, and I seem to think that they are NLA from M-B, so use from your parts cars (I seem to remember the can be found in the headlamp wiring harness for instance).
All Becker radios have a trigger terminal at the rear, even the older pinstripe types.  All you need to do is connect the blue wire (already present in the radio recital compartment together with a coaxial wire, the brown earth wire and the red/green radio power wire - all factory fit to every car) to this trigger terminal.  When you turn the radio on, the aerial goes up, and when turned off, the areal goes down.  This also happens if the radio is fitted with a cassette, when the cassette is inserted, then the areal drops down.  The trigger terminal can also be used for example to send a signal to an amplifier.
In the USA, they had a separate aerial switch, found in the same position as the rearview de-mister switches etc.  The aerial is connected only to this switch, and not to the trigger terminal of the radio.  The switch is two way and automatic.  Push the up, and the aerial mast rises fully, push the down, and it drops fully.  One can also hold the switch in either the up or down modes to fine tune the height of the aerial, for example when driving under trees or under a low carport.
With regard to the cruise control
I think the system is antiquated and not really worth pursuing.  What would be great is to use the original steering column stalk coupled to more reliable electronics to make the system really reliable and user friendly.  We need to pester Lucazs to engineer something like this to replace our amplifiers.
the system is make up of these parts - switch: located on the steering column, amplifier: located near the brake pedal, actuator: located in the engine bay (I still need you to make some copies of this label on this part in a waterproof material to replace our now missing ones).  Among other things, there is a sensor for speed: located on the rear of the instrument cluster, a brake pedal sensor: located on the brake pedal (I think it is the same one as used for the brake light switch), wiring harness: in the cabin and to the fusebox, cable: in the engine bay from the actuator to the throttle assembly, (this cable I believe is specific to the car type i.e. W116 and the engine type i.e. M110 or M116/7 but I could be wrong here) I will have a new one made up at some stage as new ones are NLA and mine is stretched.  I am not sure is the throttle assembly is cruise control specific or not, if not you need one of those too, and lastly there is a nylon adjuster screw that the cable runs through: located on the throttle assembly to adjust the cable, also NLA.
Good luck with everything, and I hope this helps.

floyd111

Thanks for all that.
That answers most or all of the hirschmann questions.
I take it I can simply order any A116xxx, A123xxx, A124xxx etc Hirschmann to fit the w116?

About the CC..it's really too late to turn back. I am 75% on the way already, having bought most of the parts required. New.
I am now hunting down the last small bits, and i was getting confused getting different part numbers for identical cables, from w123 and w116, and i was wondering about the relays as well.

ptashek

Well, I am game for trying to figure out a viable replacement for the CC amp. The only real drawback being, unlike the ignition module, this is a device that can cost the user their life if messed up, and that's not something I'd take on lightly and without a myriad of disclaimers and waivers.

What needs to be known on what the unit is and how it operates is already in public domain. Despite its intimidating looks, it really is a dead simple unit, that could easily be replaced by a $30 Arduino with proper programming. It's one of the most trivial closed-loop control systems you can find, but implementing it in a 100% fail-safe manner is another story. I can easily take on the programming bit, if others offer to look into the mechanical and electronics setup.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ngruzevs

Just stumbled across this thread. My newly acquired 450SE doesn't seem to have a factory hole for antenna, hence looks like someone has made a hole for antenna on rear RHS. Not sure if it was delivered with factory delete radio, or something else happened during life of car.

Searching Carsales/Gumtree antenna positions seem to vary, seen some 350SE's positioned on front RHS (drivers side) and as stated in thread rear LHS.
1971 MK2 Jensen Interceptor
1979 W116 450SE
1987 W126 300SE
2007 Lexus LS460
2018 Hyundai i30N

irvine

Got me thinking, would it be possible to retrofit the auto aerial into the front fender location?
I'd like to change the manual for the auto.

Neil.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: irvine on 21 May 2018, 07:17 AM
Got me thinking, would it be possible to retrofit the auto aerial into the front fender location?
I'd like to change the manual for the auto.

Neil.

Haha, I did the reverse--I changed out the automatic antenna for a manual one--out of a W123, I think. Then again, I basically stripped my W116 of all the power options and went to manual (sunroof, windows, climate control).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

irvine

[/quote]

Haha, I did the reverse--I changed out the automatic antenna for a manual one--out of a W123, I think. Then again, I basically stripped my W116 of all the power options and went to manual (sunroof, windows, climate control).
[/quote]

Ooh lightweight  ;)