News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

High Rear Ride height, HELP!

Started by 500eguy, 19 February 2007, 12:39 AM

500eguy

i also forgot to mention that he is also charging to take the springs off the parts 116. I figured after thinking about it, it is not to bad. the thing that is hindering me is that i don't have a decent place to work on the car. I will call the mechanic tomorrow, i may try to tackle this job myself.... ???

s class

500eguy,

THis is doable at home if yo are reasonably well equipped.  You must have enough decent safe stands and a good high lift jack.  It is not rocket science, but you do need a reasonable level of general mechanical experience, and preferably suspension experience.  Just be very very wary of the springs, and always think carefully and double check before removing bolts.  Make sure yo know what is in tension and what is in compression, and how to counteract these forces before you start unbolting. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

What's more, in the library I noticed the other day whilst looking for hydro stuff, a good rundown on removing springs and shock absorbers for conventionally sprung vehicles.

Pick a 450sel, then chasis and body manual then look up the suspension part. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

500eguy

he was'nt to clear on the shock absorbers, i will talk to him today. He was talking about Blistein shocks, maybe he is putting a set of those things on there. I will keep everybody updated. Oh, thanks so much for the quick and helpful responses guys.

500eguy

ok, today after paying $508.00 in a repair bill...the car is fixed. It has a normal ride height now, not to mention it handles great! before it was very sketchy when you would take a corner, esp a fast one! the problem was Heavy duty springs and shocks. They were put in the car, i guess to stop it from bottoming out when a load was in it. So next stop is the body shop!

oscar

Great to hear!   :)

The bill sounds reasonable too yeah?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Johhny B,

Thanks for the feedback.  Its a pleasure trying to help guys, and always enjoyable to get happy feedback.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

500eguy

Gosh, the car really is handling like it should, he put good used springs in the car and new shocks.... goes to paint on Tuesday!:)

500eguy

the same black that is on the car, i just need to take some rust out of the car and fix some dents and things of that nature.... that is pretty much the only thing that is letting the car down.