News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

High beam globe

Started by AMG69, 03 December 2006, 07:16 PM

AMG69

Gents, any recommendations on best place to purchase these in OZ (or over the net?); do I just go for the original or is there something better out there (one globe has gone on the weekend).
cheers
Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

Haven't tried them myself yet but LEDs could be worth considering. There are a few places that sell them online (I'll try to find the link for you later).
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

AMG69

Phew...$700 a pair? Hmmm, too steep for me.   ;)

AMG69

OK. Update.  Put new parking globe (nice blue LED  ;) ) and new main beam / hi beam globe in LHS only (pain in the arse doing that in a 6.9 with that bloody canister in the way  >:(

Tried headlights switch and lo and behold I now get both parking lights working (good), both head lights (better) and NO hi beam either side (grrrr)..........UNLESS I pull the steering wheel stalk switch towards me ("flasher" (!)) and then just the RHS hi beam comes on simulataneously with the LHS headlamp going out......

gremlins

curse, swear.

koan

Quote from: AMG69 on 06 December 2006, 01:36 AM

Tried headlights switch and lo and behold I now get both parking lights working (good), both head lights (better) and NO hi beam either side (grrrr)..........UNLESS I pull the steering wheel stalk switch towards me ("flasher" (!)) and then just the RHS hi beam comes on simulataneously with the LHS headlamp going out......

A lamp that goes off when another is turned on usually indicates an earth problem on the lamp that goes out. Common example is a rear park lamp going off when the brake lights (only one) come on.

Have a look at your LHS headlamp, it's probably a bit dimmer than the RHS one, the reason is that the earth for the LHS low beam is via the LHS high beam to RHS high beam and then to the body (earth). When you pull on the stalk the LHS high beam doesn't come on because there is no earth and LHS low beam goes out as it has 12 Volts on both sides of the filament.

This only applies to double filament lamps or two lamps that have a common (broken) earth connection.

k.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

AMG69

OK, I'll check all wiring I can see (and curse again at how cramped it is under there - 280SE(L) owners ahve it easy!!!!!!! :D

koan

Quote from: AMG69 on 06 December 2006, 08:03 PM
OK, I'll check all wiring I can see (and curse again at how cramped it is under there - 280SE(L) owners ahve it easy!!!!!!! :D

A couple of things I forgot to mention, In the M-B North America wiring book I have all four headlamps have individual fuses, I've never checked what the fuse box card says but I assume our Oz 6.9s have the same four fuses.

I think you have more than one problem, the earth would explain the how flash high beam puts out a low beam but not why you don't have normal high beam.

I find it easier to remove the headlamp than trying to get access through the panels
which are blocked by the battery and suspension tank, I think there are 4 or 5 screws to remove and the headlamp is out.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!