News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hey Koan, remote lock question

Started by 1980sdga, 03 June 2011, 06:38 PM

1980sdga

I've been thinking about rounding up the stuff to add remote locks to my car. I have to go into the drivers door anyway so I figure it would be a good time to do it.

Any tips, advise?

Thanks,
Jon

WGB

Either replace with all electric servos or else you will need to add a servo to the drivers door and work it by the original vacuum system.

Bill

1980sdga

I had planned on just adding a solenoid to the drivers door and letting the vacuum system handle the rest.  I was just worried about how it may effect the key lock.  I want the factory system to still function with the key lock and still have the remote.

Big_Richard

thats perfectly doable.

I've often considered such an upgrade, but additionally with the w126's automatic vacuum pump to keep the system ready for action and not reliant of stored engine vacuum.

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 03 June 2011, 08:31 PM
thats perfectly doable.

I've often considered such an upgrade, but additionally with the w126's automatic vacuum pump to keep the system ready for action and not reliant of stored engine vacuum.

How would that work?  Is the 126 pump electric and does it have a sensor that turns it on when vacuum is low?  Mine held vacuum for 4 days and cycled a couple of times but that was last week  ::)  You know how things change...

Big_Richard

it is electric and is permanently connected to the battery. it cuts in and out automatically when the correct vacuum level is reached.

obviously youd end up with a flat battery if there was a vacuum leak though  ::)

1980sdga

So your battery would also be a vacuum leak detector?  Pretty handy!

I was pretty pleased that my system held vacuum for several days and still had enough "juice" for several lock cycles.  I'm guessing that the 126 pump is an acknowledgment that the system isn't that air tight over a period of time?

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-remotes-KEYLESS-UNIVERSAL-CAR-DOOR-POWER-LOCK-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb587e16cQQitemZ200614076780QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_4533wt_927

Looks like you could hook one solenoid up to the master valve some way and be cool like Koan  8)  Well, maybe not that cool...

Here's a keyless system:

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/KEYLESS-IGNITION-AUTO-PKE-PBS-COMBO-PG-1.htm

Would probably need some modification for a diesel!

koan

Thought I'd replied to this post sometime ago, must have done my usual preview and neglected to post, sorry.

Didn't the door lock system change at some time around 126 from the 116 style separate lock/unlock vacuum lines to a single vacuum/pressure line?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

I'll have to refresh my memory on the 126 system, as I thought it was mostly electronic.

I know there is a pump in the back, though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500