News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Heretic post, please forgive

Started by Denis, 20 June 2006, 02:19 PM

Denis

Bonjour gentlemen of this delightful site

A neighbour of mine has a 1980 W126 280SE. His rear window (the big one) is badly cracked and the car is scruffy so being a nice sort of fellow, he offered to GIVE me the car  ;D

Is replacing the rear window a DIY job ? has anyone done it ?

The poor thing starts and sounds OK sitting on its flat tyres and either Denis adopts it or it goes to the car graveyard with "garbagemobiles " 15 years younger  :'(

Denis

Paris, France

michaeld

Denis,

I've never replaced a rear window; but I've replaced a windshield before, and it is easily w/in a DIY.  I would suggest that it is a two person job, as it is such a big car (I did my job myself; but it was a much smaller car).

There are suction cups made for the purpose of installing windshields (many have a "quick-release" clamp that makes it easier).  You will probably need to replace the rubber.  Then all you do is apply the special-purpose glue, and (carefully) lay the window on top of it.  It's a one-shot deal, so it is probably a good idea to practice accuracy a few times.

The only thing that keeps me from buying a parts car is the fact that I don't have the facilities to store one (eat your heart out, Davestlouis!).  If the car is in any kind of decent condition - and if you have the facilities - I'd keep the car.

s class

Denis,

I believe Big Richard is correct.  If you are looking to replace the window cost effectively, you might locate a used one and find out what an auto-glass place would charge to fit it.  I have used that option here in South Africa, and its usually very cheap - they are pros and do it in minutes - but usually they will not take responsibiltiy for breakages. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

I've been quoted $330 AUS, 190euro for replacement of front windscreen including fitment on my 350.  It's surprisingly affordable and I can only imagine a rear 126's window would also be affordable.  Every month or so there's someone advertising on ebay in Aus of a 116 they're dismantling so I'd imagine a 126 2nd hand rear window wouldn't be that hard to find and cheap where u are.  You could then perhaps pay a pro to install it.  If I do get mine done by the local pros one thing I will do is take the chrome off myself.  Most scratches and nicks around the windscreen's bright work have been caused by the last time the screen was changed.

I hate seeing MB's being condemned too but it is an early featureless 126, true? (me here the hypocrite, always praising my featureless '73 350se).
I dunno, a free car?  Replace the windscreen, pump up the tyres, clean it and sell it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Denis

Hi Oscar and all

The car is FREE  ;D It looks like hell but I tested a spot with paint polish on the mat paint and SURPRISE, it came out shining  :o it has a few rust spots but the floor condition is like new !

This is a 280SE with dark blue paint and dark blue interior in MBZ vinyl - some wood trimming are falling off, there is one dash crack, otherwise the interior is excellent  :P

Options include an automatic transmission, power windows, armrests and cruise control along with an alarm system. While it starts, it has been mostly immobile for a few years - not good. I am wondering about the cooling system  :(

Sell it ? NOBODY wants this kind of car except S-class enthusiasts like me. It might cost me 500â,¬ to fix and I COULD NOT sell it for that amount.

But like Big Richard says ... no way to the car graveyard; Did I tell you fellows that I almost NEVER see an S-class in the car graveyard ?

Denis

Paris, France

Denis

Oh forgot to add, the car has 225 000 genuine km ...

Denis

HerrBenz

If its anything like the w123's it's a fairly simple task.  If your like me and like doing things yourself.  (Dives in where angles fear to tread)
The only part I found tricky was the lip on the weather strip, getting it back in place was a pain.

David

s class

Denis,

I hope I don't end up in the same boat as you.....

Today I found a 1982 280SE W126 for sale :

150000km genuine
no splits in dashboard
dark blue paint - no scratches, no dents, no rust
all options - sun roof, a/c, electric windows, central locking - everything works
beige leather
original becker radio

car is totally original, even with the pressed steel wheels and "rubbish bin" lid plastic wheel covers

price - ZAR22000 = USD3000 approx. 

problem - no more garages at home.

My wife says I can't save all the s-class I see.  I said I can try. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Denis

Hello from sunny Paris

HerrBenz, tell me more about your problem with the seal - that is exactly what I need to know.

Yes, it is glued and the glue kit is 55â,¬, suction cups are 25â,¬, best quotation is 250â,¬ so it's going to be a DIY  ;D

Hey S class  :D your wife is wrong, every decent Mercedes must be saved. That is also why there are so few in car graveyards in France, propping the used spare parts market upwards costwise  :(

My 17 year old daughter wants to get a driver licence so what else would be SAFER than a big ole S-class  ;D  Besides, taking a trip with her girlfriends on the western coast of France would be really classy (in her opinion)...my 19 year old son is studying management at Sorbonnes I university - just the car for a ride with his friends to Deauville (classy wealthy resort on the English channel). The only problem would be settling WHO gets the old W126. Me ? yes but isn't the W116 just superb ?

So in conclusion gents, SAVE THE WHALES ! S-classes  ::)

Denis

Paris, France