News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Help needed

Started by 350_SE, 13 July 2010, 06:22 AM

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 14 July 2010, 12:57 PM
Quote from: 350_SE on 14 July 2010, 10:59 AM
The VIN is 116 028 620 164 02

This gets more and more interesting!!!

116 = series type
028 = sub-type (350SE)
6 = RHD CKD assembled unit (in the 1970's, 6 generally meant East London South Africa plant)
2 = auto transmission
016402 = sequence number.

Is it possible this car was a RHD converted to LHD?  Certainly, if this is an East London CKD car, the ACCII is an absolute first for me.

The sure way to confirm if the car was built in East London is that it will have a CDA number.  The CDA number originally appeared in 2 places

a) adjacent to the VIN number on the firewall
b) on a separate blue and yellow or red and silver aluminium plate rivetted on the radiator support panel.

My mind is officially blown over this one.

IF that is a RHD to LHD conversion, it was a no expense spared job - VERY impressive work, because everything is exactly where it should be.

s class

MT, I doubt it is a conversion.  I don't think it is an East London CDA plant car because :

a) I see no CDA tag on the radiator support
b) it has ACCII which the CDA plant never supplied
c) it has velour which the CDA plant never offered. 
d) as you state MT, it is just too perfect to be a conversion. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

This mysterious car 350_SE has spiked a lot of interest.

Please be sure to drop back in and update us with any more information you can share about it  8)

KenM

It does have a 450 SE boot badge in one of the other pics, could have been changed obviously but why bother just swapping a boot badge from 350 to 450? The green interiors look spot on, it's a very clean looking car alright.

350_SE

Thanks for the help, my friends.  ;)
Like i said before, the previous owner probably change the papers and the VIN of a south african car, and put it on this chassis!
It is to perfect, to be a RHD to LHD conversion.
I have to see the engine number, probably this car is a 450SE like the inscription on the boot.
Where can i find the engine number?

s class

THe engine number is on the engine block at the back, just next to the bellhousing, behind the right hand cylinder head. 

The number will be 11798... for 450SE or 11698... for 350SE. 

You could also just check the paperwork, but maybe it does not match the number on the engine?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

350_SE

Quote from: KenM on 15 July 2010, 04:29 AM
It does have a 450 SE boot badge in one of the other pics, could have been changed obviously but why bother just swapping a boot badge from 350 to 450? The green interiors look spot on, it's a very clean looking car alright.

The car is in perfect condition.
The interiors are in very good shape, excludind the dashboard, that has a crack on it.  :(
I just love this car, and i want to make it perfect.
Now i am a little bit sad, because the car doesn`t match the papers.

Big_Richard

There is no need to be sad.

Having an unexplainable unique car is very exciting in my opinion ;)

now you just have to do some detective work and find out whats going on!  8)

350_SE

Thank you.
Let`s see what i can find.
I asked my Father to see me the number, on the engine.
As soon as i know, i will post it here.

peterq

The other evidence suggests this is not a RHD-LHD conversion. However, they can be done extremely well. My first 6.9 was a LHD-RHD conversion, though I didn't know that until the end of my ownership. The only giveaway, internal or external, was the windscreen wipers - they were still in the LHD location. I see on this car the wipers are in the LHD position and that's not easy to change, so this is probably a built LHD car.

oscar

Awsome car there 350_SE.  8)
Engine number can be pretty hard to see especially if there's a bit of dirt covering the numbers, though your car looks too good to have accumulated grime.  Anyhow, if your father has trouble seeing it email him a larger version of this photo below.  Viewed from the front and above the engine.

Click for bigger pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1973 350SE, my first & fave

pompy

s class, I have seen here in South Africa a thistle green RHD 350 SE with green velour. It was parked next to my thistle green 350 SE at the N3 Villiers petrol station for a few minutes. I almost had a heart attack seeing these rare cars next to each other at random...

s class

Wow.  I think green velour is about as good and 70's as it gets. 

350_SE

Thanks a lot my friends.
I am sorry, but my mother in law died yesterday.
As soon as i feel right, i will post the engine number here.