News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Help-I can't close my drivers door

Started by jjccp, 12 June 2019, 10:41 AM

revilla

Hello Diesel,

I'm not familiar with the shims.  Where are they located and what's their role, to align what?  Maybe shimming is complementary to the handle adjustment to arrive at a perfect opening/closing door.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Diesel 617

Between the  Locking Eye Striker and the door frame it self there is a thin piece of metal shim, if you remove the eye striker the shim is right there. Take one off another door and see if two makes it any better. When adjusting it tighten the bolts but make sure the striker can self adjust when the door is fully closed. Once adjusted crank the bolts down and your set.

This thread: https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/one-finger-door-close/
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

revilla

Diesel 617

If they are NLA I have thick and thin shims I can ship to people.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

buki5

So I read through this thread and it is right on my topic. 

My drivers door has to be slammed to shut.  I've looked at all my doors, latches, strikers etc.  Finally, think I see what is happening...not sure what the solution might be.

On the drivers door looking at the bottom of the striker mounted on the door frame.  There is a little box that is cut out of the striker.  The latch basically hits the front of the striker, the the latch rotates and has a protrusion that comes around and sticks into the box that's cut out.  One "click" is the initial lock, 2 "clicks" is the door fully shut.  What I am seeing is shavings of metal on the latch part that rotates and two small parallel grooves getting cut into the back of the striker (back of the cut out box).

Now it looks like the latch used to have plastic protrusions, if so, they appear to have been to soften the mechanism when closing the door.  In any case the latch is coming around and cutting metal out of the striker.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?  At first I thought I might be able to adjust the striker back a little.  However, that wouldn't matter as the rotating assembly still moves the same distance.  Any ideas appreciated.
1980 300SD turned over 84K 10-20-2021
Silver w/ Blk MB Tex

ptashek

Had the same problem. What I've done is copy the plastic "bumper", which I've then 3D printed and epoxied in place. After that I've adjusted the door as the factory intended, and it's been working great for at least a year now.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

buki5

Thanks ptashek.  rough dimensions for the "bumper". They're missing from all of my doors.  An alternative I was tossing around is to attach a small thin plate to the front of the striker as a "build out" to it would also provide a bushing like face between the aluminum striker and the hard steel latch.  Thoughts?
Silver w/ Blk MB Tex

TNNBENZ

I have a back door that will not OPEN.  I will see if any of this advice will help me OPEN my door............. ha........Thankx ~~~
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

ptashek

Quote from: buki5 on 05 October 2021, 08:44 AM
Thanks ptashek.  rough dimensions for the "bumper". They're missing from all of my doors.

It's tiny. Like really tiny :)

ptashek

Here is the finished product. Works like a charm.

buki5

Thanks ptashek.  That looks exactly right.  Did you use any particular epoxy?  I have some West Systems here and cheap Harbor Freight 5 min. 
Silver w/ Blk MB Tex

ptashek

TNNBENZ

These post are very impressive.  You guys are very smart....did you Mercedes anyone ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

buki5

TNNBENZ.  I'm learning like most.  But I had a similar issue with door not wanting to open.  May have to "jerk" on the handle to get it open.  There is an adjustment inside the door handle that is probably wrong.  In my case the piece has loosened and slid to its far setting making door opening difficult. 

Once open there is a plastic cap in the door jamb.  Pop it out.  Remove the two Allen screws (Don't lose them in the door, more work).  Then slide the door handle towards the front of the car.  It should come out rear side first then come out of the door.  You will see a ping about 3/16 diameter and 3/4 inch long with a slot for a screwdriver in the top.  I'm guessing it will have loosened as mine did.  Slide it up higher tighten and test.

Hope that helps.  By the way TNN...Tennessee?
Silver w/ Blk MB Tex

TNNBENZ

Quote from: buki5 on 20 October 2021, 06:56 PM
TNNBENZ.  I'm learning like most.  But I had a similar issue with door not wanting to open.  May have to "jerk" on the handle to get it open.  There is an adjustment inside the door handle that is probably wrong.  In my case the piece has loosened and slid to its far setting making door opening difficult. 

Once open there is a plastic cap in the door jamb.  Pop it out.  Remove the two Allen screws (Don't lose them in the door, more work).  Then slide the door handle towards the front of the car.  It should come out rear side first then come out of the door.  You will see a ping about 3/16 diameter and 3/4 inch long with a slot for a screwdriver in the top.  I'm guessing it will have loosened as mine did.  Slide it up higher tighten and test.

Hope that helps.  By the way TNN...Tennessee?
buki5, Thank-you very much.............I apologize, I am just now reading your helpful reply.   I will try your advice now.  It comes at avery important time for me .   Thank-you again so very much.......... :)   :)   :) :)   :) :)   :) :)  ::)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof